• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures with other people

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many of you would agree that a picture shared with Style Forum (or any other public or semi-public forums) should generally not feature more than the person uploading the images? Unless it's a picture of public figures or maybe a 'street shot' or a wedding photo that the other half would not mind being uploaded. Company policy discourages multi-person submissions, and one could always crop out others. There are potential legalities, too, though it's more about issues such as privacy and avoiding distractions.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it matters all that much. None of my friends would care, they'd just think I am teh **** for posting on a style website.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think mensimagecollector read that salon.com story today about upskirt photographers. Jinda, that's NOT an invitation to post your collection.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She'd mind, don't you think?

X-It

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
I think mensimagecollector read that salon.com story today about upskirt photographers. Jinda, that's NOT an invitation to post your collection.

Oops!
lurker[1].gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
How many of you would agree that a picture shared with Style Forum (or any other public or semi-public forums) should generally not feature more than the person uploading the images? Unless it's a picture of public figures or maybe a 'street shot' or a wedding photo that the other half would not mind being uploaded. Company policy discourages multi-person submissions, and one could always crop out others. There are potential legalities, too, though it's more about issues such as privacy and avoiding distractions.

I agree. At least have the decency to blur the other person faces. I am pretty sure if people are asked whether they want photos of them floating on random message boards without their consent they would say they weren't comfortable with it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I agree. At least have the decency to blur the other person faces. I am pretty sure if people are asked whether they want photos of them floating on random message boards without their consent they would say they weren't comfortable with it.
+1

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

But what if it is an innocuous picture? I recently did that in the WASPy Faces thread. When you are photographed, especially these days, you know the inherent risks.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
But what if it is an innocuous picture? I recently did that in the WASPy Faces thread. When you are photographed, especially these days, you know the inherent risks.

Bullshit. Don't post pictures of other people online without their consent or bluring their photo. It's called common courtesy.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bullshit. Don't post pictures of other people online without their consent or bluring their photo. It's called common courtesy.

+1. It may not be illegal per se, but it's just a matter of being considerate.

Trenditional

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant

Your post got me thinking about a conversation I had with a friend a while back. We were in her apartment and like many women, she has a lot of photographs. I happened to be looking at one where a person in the background had a distinctive shirt that pulled some of my attention. This person in the background was not looking directly at the camera, but got included because the photographer was trying to get 3 people in the photograph. We started looking at other pictures and almost half of them have people in the background who weren't intended for the photograph.

The long way to my point is, we started discussing how many pictures are out there that we were in the background of those people's pictures. It was kind of cool, but weird thinking how many different homes "we" were in and how many times other people say, "Hey, look at that person in the background."

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ were you guys stoned at the time?

Geruvah

Reaction score
If they used the picture for the public to see, like open galleries at their facebook account, it's fair game.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
?

I would have to find other people willing to be photographed with me first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads