• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of your "self distressed" denim

someoneNew

Reaction score
Since the majority here think that personally distressing your denim is the only way to go I'd like to see pictures of your denim with an explanation of how you did the distressing.

I'm curious to see if it looks as good as pre-distressed denim, how long it took to get the look, etc.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dcfn0001at0.jpg
dcfn0002ls9.jpg
dcfn0003rp3.jpg
dcfn0004qu7.jpg
sandpaper... if you want worn jeans check out the pics of your denim thread.

someoneNew

Reaction score
Cheap: were those completely new dark denim when you first got them? Did they have any distressing at all or is it all done by you? How long did it take you?

Actually before and after pictures would be sweet.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww...
you dont like them? is that why you got so excited when i took them off?

Originally Posted by someoneNew
Cheap: were those completely new dark denim when you first got them? Did they have any distressing at all or is it all done by you? How long did it take you?

Actually before and after pictures would be sweet.

sandpaper and about 2 hours of boredom.... they were one wash and then worn for about a month or two. sandpaper and then washed 3 or 4 times. worn vwery infrequently since then(for obvious reasons)

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
worn vwery infrequently since then(for obvious reasons)
what are the reasons? /honest question

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the distressing looks fake. after looking at all the real wear i cant stand wearing those.

i do think it looks better than alot of washes out there tho.

Reaction score
true. i'm looking at my boss's pre-distressed diesels right now [gag] and yours look waaaaaay better, FWIW.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
Since the majority here think that personally distressing your denim is the only way to go I'd like to see pictures of your denim with an explanation of how you did the distressing.

Just curious if you're asking about the normal break in process, or doing something special (i.e. cheap's)?

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
Just curious if you're asking about the normal break in process, or doing something special (i.e. cheap's)?

I'm asking what people do (whatever that entails) to give their jeans the distressed look. I'm the only one here who doesn't mind pre-distressed denim so I thought'd it be interesting to see what all of the homemade remedies that everyone here uses to get the look they want. Also would like to see before and after pictures if possible, in conclusion I'd like to know if people actually "like" what they did.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is what they looked like before(from ebay)
e8_1.JPG

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, doing anything other than wearing your jeans to get that distressed look is generally frowned upon on all of the forums :p It generally comes out looking fake.

There are little things people do (starching or squats for example) that may accelerate wear a little, but it all comes down to wearing them pretty much.

Brian SD

Reaction score
This is a pair I wore in.. about two years ago. I only wear them once in a great while now, but I still think they look rather nice.
p10100708jq.jpg

moykky

Reaction score
Is this meant to be "artificially" distressed jeans-thread? I have a one pair of old Edwins that I had washed for some 50 times in a place where they wash (a big ocean cruisers) white bedsheets, table covers and such. They eneded up like some 80's "snow wash". I wanted a light colored pair to wear in summertime, haven't wore them even once
biggrin.gif
(I try to take a picture)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads