• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of nice gloves...?

rharlow

Reaction score
I have a pair of mink lined Merolas that are very warm, don’t know if they still make them though.
Those sound awesome, I've never seen mink lining. What is the outer glove made out of?

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hairsheep leather, great gloves.

johnvw

Reaction score
Does anyone on SF have advice to offer regarding brands of men's dress leather gloves that offer the best value for the price in, roughly, the $25-$75 USD range? $200+ bespoke gloves are great, but not within the grasp of everyone, including, perhaps, some others on this forum. Thanks in advance for your suggestions

rharlow

Reaction score
Does anyone on SF have advice to offer regarding brands of men's dress leather gloves that offer the best value for the price in, roughly, the $25-$75 USD range? $200+ bespoke gloves are great, but not within the grasp of everyone, including, perhaps, some others on this forum. Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Take a look at Hungant gloves. They're a family-owned and operated glove company in Romania. You can purchase customized gloves (you can choose the color, stitching, lining, closure style, etc) on Etsy under the name "leathergloves4u". Hungant is mentioned many times on this thread in reference to their excellent, but relatively modestly priced peccary gloves. However, they also sell gloves in other leathers in the price range you mention. You can get them unlined for moderate weather, or lined in cashmere or even rabbit fur for very cold weather. I recommend requesting the button-strap closure, and be sure to ask if they would include quirks (little pieces between the fingers that give the gloves more agility). Don't look at their Etsy site now, because they are on vacation until August 16th and not taking orders. But check them out after that time and Istvan Mandoki ("Isti") will work with you to get the right size and style for you. I recommend them over any brand found in stores in the US (which are usually mass produced overseas anyway). Cheers.

Last edited:

johnvw

Reaction score
Take a look at Hungant gloves. They're a family-owned and operated glove company in Romania. You can purchase customized gloves (you can choose the color, stitching, lining, closure style, etc) on Etsy under the name "leathergloves4u". Hungant is mentioned many times on this thread in reference to their excellent, but relatively modestly priced peccary gloves. However, they also sell gloves in other leathers in the price range you mention. You can get them unlined for moderate weather, or lined in cashmere or even rabbit fur for very cold weather. I recommend requesting the button-strap closure, and be sure to ask if they would include quarks (little pieces between the fingers that give the gloves more agility). Don't look at their Etsy site now, because they are on vacation until August 16th and not taking orders. But check them out after that time and Istvan Mandoki ("Isti") will work with you to get the right size and style for you. I recommend them over any brand found in stores in the US (which are usually mass produced overseas anyway). Cheers.

Thank you very much!

Fizhie

Reaction score
Hi all!
Just found this forum and instantly created an account to hopefully get some advice regarding my latest purchase. I recieved my first pair of peccary gloves, but when you look closer to the leather you can see that pieces of the outer layer is torn appart. I asked the seller regarding this which told me that this is normal, due to the living conditions of the animal in the jungle, its normal to see scratches and such.

So my question is, is this normal? Cause I cant see these kind of scratches on the pictures you guys post on this thread?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20191025_203706.jpg
    20191025_203706.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 183

jayvee

Reaction score
Hi all!
Just found this forum and instantly created an account to hopefully get some advice regarding my latest purchase. I recieved my first pair of peccary gloves, but when you look closer to the leather you can see that pieces of the outer layer is torn appart. I asked the seller regarding this which told me that this is normal, due to the living conditions of the animal in the jungle, its normal to see scratches and such.

So my question is, is this normal? Cause I cant see these kind of scratches on the pictures you guys post on this thread?

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by torn apart? It’s true that wild animal hides often have scratches and scars but the best makers usually try and avoid these parts of the hide.

jayvee

Reaction score
I went for the 8 as the shop didn’t carry half sizes. Hope they’re not too small. They’re the Dents Windsor and I also emailed them for sizing advice and they recommended the 8 saying they will stretch.

Well they have stretched and are pretty great. Cold enough here for to start wearing them.

Fizhie

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by torn apart? It’s true that wild animal hides often have scratches and scars but the best makers usually try and avoid these parts of the hide.

Sorry for not beeing clear, I uploaded a new pic with circles around the affected areas.
And sorry for not describing it correctly (english is not my mother tounge) What i mean with torn apart is those parts in the circle. The outer layer is kind of shiny, but on those area the shiny layer has been ripped of/scratched? Is that normal? Cant see these kind of scratches on the pictures from other members post tho :S

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

rharlow

Reaction score
Sorry for not beeing clear, I uploaded a new pic with circles around the affected areas.
And sorry for not describing it correctly (english is not my mother tounge) What i mean with torn apart is those parts in the circle. The outer layer is kind of shiny, but on those area the shiny layer has been ripped of/scratched? Is that normal? Cant see these kind of scratches on the pictures from other members post tho :S
All of the peccary gloves I've owned have these same sorts of holes, though not as many as the one in your picture. My gloves have all been of a much lighter color, so perhaps they are more visible on darker gloves. Yes, there may be more holes than some other peccary gloves, but I believe this is normal. If you got a good deal on them, then it's worth it. Peccary is tough, they'll be just fine.

Fizhie

Reaction score
All of the peccary gloves I've owned have these same sorts of holes, though not as many as the one in your picture. My gloves have all been of a much lighter color, so perhaps they are more visible on darker gloves. Yes, there may be more holes than some other peccary gloves, but I believe this is normal. If you got a good deal on them, then it's worth it. Peccary is tough, they'll be just fine.
thank you both for quick replay.
Seems l just got unlucky with more holes then. It wasn't really a deal, just bought them from etsy (hungat i belive) since I recently found out about peccary and wanted to check how that leather was :p It was cheaper than other peccary gloves tho, maybe that's why there's more holes as well.
Since everything is fine I think ill try to order 1-2 pair in different model and different color from them and hope there's less holes on them :p
Seems like that's a good store to order from in EU? (not into those super high end gloves yet)

Thanks again!

rharlow

Reaction score
thank you both for quick replay.
Seems l just got unlucky with more holes then. It wasn't really a deal, just bought them from etsy (hungat i belive) since I recently found out about peccary and wanted to check how that leather was :p It was cheaper than other peccary gloves tho, maybe that's why there's more holes as well.
Since everything is fine I think ill try to order 1-2 pair in different model and different color from them and hope there's less holes on them :p
Seems like that's a good store to order from in EU? (not into those super high end gloves yet)

Thanks again!

Peccary hides can vary a lot from batch to batch, or even color to color. I've had two good experiences with Hungant so far. I wouldn't compare them too negatively to the "super high end" makers. From what I've seen they are as good as Hestra and Merola. The stitching density in Hungant's peccary is actually much higher than that of Hestra, though they're half the price. Most name-brand makers (Zegna, etc) don't actually make their own gloves. The only makers that are head and shoulders above all of these are Lavabre Cadet and Hermes (an atelier named Saint-Junien makes Hermes' gloves, on par with Lavabre). In short, I recommend going with Hungant, knowing you're getting a quality product.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads