1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pictures of nice gloves...?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jerome, Oct 4, 2009.

1. rharlow

rharlow Active Member

Black deerskin with Harris Tweed back from Dents in England. The most established and respected glove maker in England, Dents offers some outstanding creations. Admittedly, not all of their models are at the highest level (not comparable with Merola, or certainly not Lavabre), but I find these deerskin/Harris tweed ones to be first rate. Their peccary gloves look very high quality as well, though I don't have any first-hand experience. Deerskin is thicker and tougher than peccary or kidskin. Certainly less refined and elegant, but highly suitable for serious winter weather, wielding a snow shovel and the like.

These have thick Scottish cashmere lining, so they are very warm as well. I chose this model because they match my b/w herringbone winter paletot. Perfect gloves for real day-to-day winter wear, and the strap/button closer is secure and stylish. If you're looking for strong winter gloves that are nicer than the usual, bulky cow hide crap you find at every sporting goods store, than take a look at Dents' deerskin.
    IMG_4615.JPG
    IMG_4617.JPG IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4616.JPG

2. rharlow

rharlow Active Member

Now, for some REALLY serious winter gloves. Sealskin mittens, with sled dog fur trim. Hand made in Greenland by a small, now defunct, cooperative of wives of inuit seal hunters near Narsaq. I don't know if these qualify as "nice gloves", but they are exceptionally rare, and the seal fur is unbelievably soft, with a sophisticated and elegant sheen. Virtually water proof, warm, and astonishingly soft, there are no better winter gloves than seal skin. A good rule of thumb: when you want the absolute BEST winter wear, turn to the Inuit. Unfortunately, these are incredibly hard to come by, short of a trip to Greenland and acquiring the necessary permit to bring them back to the US. In any case, the coop that made these is sadly no longer.
    Anyway, just wanted to share...
    IMG_4622.JPG IMG_4623.JPG IMG_4624.JPG IMG_4625.JPG

3. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the pics and commentary. Are the Dents gloves heavily lined in the palms? I had a pair of Pearl Izumi gloves for sports, and they were only lined in the back, which gave them an excellent grip. This was back in the early 90s, and I don't think they make them anymore. Sometimes I want a more formal pair with that feature.

4. rharlow

rharlow Active Member

Thanks for your note. The Dents are fully lined, palm and back. In order to line only the back of the glove, I presume a maker would have to glue the lining in, a process which shortens the life of the glove and effects comfort of wear. The best makers construct their lining as a completely separate glove in and of itself, then stitch it in place inside the leather glove. This allows for more range of movement and is longer lasting (and more easily repairable). In any case, the deerskin leather in these Dents offers excellent grip.

5. dan'l

dan'l Senior Member

Thanks for the write-up and posting the pics. Is the Etsy shopped called "leathergloves4u?" I have it bookmarked and been meaning to give them a go. I tried a custom pair of Chester Jefferies gloves last winter with terrible results. After this experience, I realized that I have never really had fitting problems with gloves and standard sizes seem to fit (unlike the rest of my body parts!).

6. rharlow

rharlow Active Member

Yes, Hungant's Etsy shop is "leathergloves4u", admittedly a very unpromising shop name! I've many several mixed reviews about Chester Jeffries, and one pair of CJ peccary gloves I saw online had atrocious stitching. I felt confident giving Hungant a try after seeing their HUGE number of outstanding reviews, and I was not disappointed. Be sure to discuss your fitting concerns with Istvan of leathergloves4u on Etsy. I'm sure he'll work with you to get a great fit! If you order some, please share some pics!

7. rharlow

rharlow Active Member

One suggestion for those thinking of ordering an unlined, one-piece peccary from Hungant: ask for a quarter size smaller than you would otherwise order for lined gloves. My unlined pair are just a teensy bit looser than the perfectly snug fitting cashmere lined pair. If I were to order another unlined pair, one-piece or otherwise, I would suggest making them a tiny bit smaller.

8. FeffeCarl

FeffeCarl Member

Thanks! In your pictures I noticed the gloves were too loose (or at least in my opinion... I like them to be quite tight!). I'll ask for it!
    Another question: do you find the leather quite thin? I don't like too much thick leather... I have tried different pairs of peccary and I noticed the thickness is not always the same!

9. rharlow

rharlow Active Member

I can't say for certain about thickness, not having compared many peccary gloves in person. I did purchase a pair from Jeeves. They were soft and outstanding, but I don't know if they were any thinner than Hungant's. Incidentally, the Jeeves gloves were just too loose around the palm and wrist for me, though the knuckle size was correct. Though there is some slack around the wrist in my Hungants, they do fit me much better than Jeeves. I've discovered that for my particular hands, wide knuckles but with thin palms, slender fingers and a narrow wrist, Lavabre's cut seems to fit me best. Everyone's hand has different proportions, and you'll never get a perfectly fitting glove (save for luck), even when you send in a hand tracing to a company, unless you have an opportunity to commission a truly bespoke pair, a process which requires several repeat visits for fittings/alterations. One last thought regarding thickness, I find the unlined Hungant peccaries to have excellent haptic response--I am perfectly comfortable digging into my pockets and opening my wallet/keys with them on, whereas these actions are a bit more cumbersome in the cashmere-lined version.