• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of nice gloves...?

johnvw

Reaction score
I have enjoyed the pictures posted on this thread. I don't have any pics to add, but I have a question: Do gloves made of peccary skin provide more warmth than gloves made of deerskin or lambskin, for example?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some questions, as i am in the market for a pair of gloves to wear in cold weather.

I see that most seem to favor peccary, is there a reason to buy peccary over calf leather?

Also, it looks like cashmere/wool lined will be best for cold weather, any reason to go for silk lining?

Thanks for the help gents.

diglett

Reaction score
I have some questions, as i am in the market for a pair of gloves to wear in cold weather.

I see that most seem to favor peccary, is there a reason to buy peccary over calf leather?

Also, it looks like cashmere/wool lined will be best for cold weather, any reason to go for silk lining?

I have a pair of calf Dent's (cashmere lined) that I picked up at the start of the winter, and I'll be buying peccary from them before next winter because:

-Peccary, due to being an expensive material, tends to be associated with better construction. Calf will often be machine made (as mine were, and I've been lusting after a chunkier, outseam-sewn peccary pair for months).
-Peccary can age beautifully. I can't speak for all calf gloves, but mine have just started "fading" rather than developing a patina as seen here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/142905/pictures-of-nice-gloves/200_100#post_3645474
-Some folks say they love the feel of unlined peccary. Obviously I can't comment on this, but it's definitely a factor that pops up in discussion.

As for the cold weather: My cashmere-lined pair stopped being perfectly comfortable around freezing point, but they were great most of the time. I'll be picking up a fur-lined pair for the especially cold days this winter.

quuz

Reaction score

I have a silk lined pair from madova, would not recomend silk for cold weather. Then on the other hand it depends on your definition of cold, here in Sweden when its -10 degrees celcius they are worthless :p Down to 0 degrees they are ok though!

diglett

Reaction score
I haven't seen this thread in a while, so here are the two pairs I just picked up from the Dents sale. Unlined peccary, and cashmere lined peccary with a buttoned wrist, both in cork. This is the first time I've felt peccary, and I must say I wasn't expecting it to feel so creamy and smooth, while still seeming quite tough. I'm as happy with them as anyone could be when receiving gloves during 85*F weather, and am excited to wear them in a few months.

One more thing: How would you guys describe the smell of peccary? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it reminds me of something like an extra-bitter pine scent.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are some really nice gloves.

I love peccary.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads