Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pictures of new suit -- comments welcome

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by boston, Apr 17, 2005.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Take these comments with a grain of salt -- it is tough to tell elements of fit and style from a picture, even a good picture. Also, let me also preface my comments by saying that I think it is a lovely suit that you should get much pleasure out of.

(1) You might be better with a two button next time. But this is more preference.

(2) The lapels are fine in and of themselves -- they sort of resemble Oxxford lapels -- but they don't quite match up with the other details of the jacket. For example, the lapels are short (because of the 3 button), and maybe a touch wider than average, with a round corner. The angle of the notch is also a bit downward facing. But this is in a bit of conflict with the high hip pockets, high second button, and the high breast pocket. These elements, at least for me, call out for a longer lapel (2 button) that is slightly narrower, slightly less rounded, and less angled downward (check out the Isaia suits at Sierra Trading Post for an example). What I think is going on here is that you have a lot of elements elongating the jacket from the bottom up to the middle button, and the less elongating lapel causes a bit of visual compression. Make sense?

(2) I would not get hacking pockets if I were you. I agree that hacking pockets might now be right on this suit due to the fabric (this is just a matter of taste IMO though). But, more precisely, I think hacking pockets don't flatter your body. You have very good posture if the side shot is an indication. You can see that the back of the jacket appears a bit longer than the front from this side shot -- again, as a result of your posture. The hacking pockets in combination with this make it look as though the jacket is sliding backwards on you. I think you'd be better off going with straight pockets next time.

(3) I might get the pants a bit shorter and a bit full next time. You look tall and lanky. A bit more fullness in the lower leg would probably give you a bit more bulk.

(4) The jacket is a touch long perhaps? But the sleeves are a bit short. A bit of a disconnect here.

So, though are my "negative" comments. Overall, it is a great suit that fits really, really well. This is especially true across the back. Congratulations. Where is it from, if we may ask?

2. brooklyn

brooklyn Senior member

I agree that the sleeves are a bit short and the pants are to long, but I dont think the jacket is to long? How can you tell. I though that if you cup your hands the bottom of the jacket should meet your palms?

I like the hacking pockets with the ticket pocket, maybe because I have the same thing on my suit.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I'm talking maybe 1/4". It's hard to tell with just a few pics -- angles can be decieving.

4. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

I like it, I like the colour, design and the fabric.

Same as most I think the sleeves are a nats too short, and the trousers (pants. he he) are too long.

Enjoy your suit, it is nice.

5. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

You look good.

It's imperfect, but...so's everything.

Should definitely be exceptional for workhorse wear.

I agree with johnnynorman that the suit makes you look "tall," although I'm not really seeing "lanky." Really, I think that's a very flattering thing. Who needs bulk?

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

I love the color. Don't have anything else to add save I'd rather wear my trousers a bit shorter and perhaps the coat just a tad shorter too.

7. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

You're one of the first on this forum who actually show us a suit which fits (almost) right. I don't think you can go any better than that through RTW anyway.

Don't bother listening to all these SR freaks :
    - I don't think the pants are too long : they are quite elongated and slim that way, which is good.
    - I don't think you need any more waist suppression.

One thing however is bothering me : the shoulders are too wide.
    Narrower lapels + shoulders would have been better.

And, of course, as many mentioned : the sleeves are a bit short + button the cuffs.

Otherwise, very nice looking suit .

.luc

8. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Wear nicer shoes with that nice suit.

The pockets make the suit noticeable, and a suit should not necessarily be noticed. What I mean is, one should not remember what you were wearing, just that you looked nice. With this suit, I will basically only remember the pockets.

Oh, and the nice stitching.

9. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

The gorge looks fine to me...but then I'm probably more conservative than most of the other members.

Also, I think given the fit of the jacket waist on your backside, more waist suppression would pull and create other problems.

Looks like a great purchase. Enjoy.

10. boston

boston Senior member

Thank you all for your comments.

- I agree, the pants look long in that picture. I'll need to try them on again to see if they really are long, or if I just need to pull them up a little.

- I also agree that the higher button and waist stance points towards a higher gorge. Something to bear in mind for the next time.

- The shoulders actually fit very well. Not sure if they can get much narrower, but perhaps they could get softer.

- I also thought it could do with some more waist suppression, but when I tweak the waist in it does not look any better.

The suit feels very soft and drapes really nicely. The drape is new for me, but the wool has a soft hand.

- boston

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Obviously you've never seen Ernest's collection of Lanvin suits.

12. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Well, last time I saw pictures of his suits, they were one size too small. But they were not Lanvin...

.luc

13. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Nice suit - some minor comments - your sleeve buttons are a little off, and your skirt is 'flaring' a bit too much I think. You may also want to consider a 2 button suit next time - I think you may look better.

Otherwise - great suit. And please, please tighten that tie - it just detracts from the overall presentation.

Panzer

14. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Also it looks great from the back...

15. boston

boston Senior member

One last note -- I had the lining be purple. my wife thought this was a dumb idea, but now agrees it looks great.

-boston