Pictures of Grenson Rugbys with Jeans...too much?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by drizzt3117, Oct 6, 2006.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

In my neverending quest to push the boundaries of what shoes you can wear with jeans, I decided to try these Grensons, which have developed a really nice patina: The outfit: Blue Express Graphic T Brown Vintage Leather Jacket Seven Slimmy jeans Grenson Masterpiece Rugbys Breitling Crosswind Special (Black Face) Hugo cologne [​IMG] The shoes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I really like the sleekness of the shoes, but wonder about the overall effect, what do you guys think? Hmm what should I go with next, Lobb ankle boots? heh [​IMG]

2. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

I think that the Grensons could work with jeans, but light denim like that feels extra-casual to me, and the Grensons feel too formal with that particular pair. Darker denim--with probably a smaller leg opening--would work well, though, IMO.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think that the Grensons could work with jeans, but light denim like that feels extra-casual to me, and the Grensons feel too formal with that particular pair. Darker denim--with probably a smaller leg opening--would work well, though, IMO.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I could pull them off with like 5EP resins or RB6s, but I figured I would give this pair of slimmys a try...

4. familyman

familyman Senior member

Not quite enough patina on the shoes yet. Wear them for another decade and try agian. Or go with a dressier jean, that would work too. [​IMG]

5. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

it would probably change the look but that outfit would look great with a pair of fine wale cords in a tan or khaki color.

-Jeff

6. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I agree with sauce. The problem is the jeans, not the shoe. I have trouble seeing those jeans working with anything heavier than flip flops, let alone dress shoes.

7. minimal

minimal Senior member

Those Grenson's look a bit small on you, or is that just the photo? But I'll echo what everyone else said: darker jeans, more patina, and you'll be unstoppable.

8. theshonen8899

theshonen8899 Senior member

Yeah that jacket would look incredibly nice with a clean dark jeans.

9. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Yep, they'd look much better with a newish pair of raw denim. Great shoes though. I really love the texture of the leather.

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

Echo the comments by everyone, it's always possible to pair dress shoes with jeans but if the shoes not edgy enough it won't look as sharp. That looks good albeit very conservative which is probably what you're shooting for.

11. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

i don't know if that would work. those are some fucking SERIOUS shoes and to wear them with jeans is kind of defeating the purpose of the shoes imo. I think you would need a combination of 2 things. beat the shoes to shit and get some wear on them and get some clean dark jeans, that combination might work, but i think for those shoes to work a suit is needed.

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Those Grenson's look a bit small on you, or is that just the photo? But I'll echo what everyone else said: darker jeans, more patina, and you'll be unstoppable.

That's more or less the picture, they're a perfect fit, a tiny bit on the snug side but they're not really broken in yet.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

i don't know if that would work. those are some fucking SERIOUS shoes and to wear them with jeans is kind of defeating the purpose of the shoes imo. I think you would need a combination of 2 things. beat the shoes to shit and get some wear on them and get some clean dark jeans, that combination might work, but i think for those shoes to work a suit is needed.

Personally I like the incongruity of dress shoes with jeans, but I agree it would probably look better with dark raw/one wash denim. I realize these shoes would probably look better with a suit, but wanted to see what people thought about them with some more casual denim.

I ended up wearing the jeans with some Helmut Lang sneakers, a distressed graphic T, and the jacket tonight, which I think worked much better.