• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of "Fishtail back" trousers or "beltless"

Reaction score
There's often mention of "fishtail back" trousers meant for wearing with suspenders/braces. I work with a Korean tailor that responds a lot better to pictures or drawings than description.

Does anyone have a photograph or diagram of an actual fishtail back? I'd like to incorporate it into my next suit, rather than just a high waist & suspender buttons.

On the same note-does anyone have something similar for what's often described here as "beltless" trousers?

Thanks!

Millerp

Reaction score
Fish tail back

fish4kf.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know this pant style is popular with some, but it is so incredibly unflattering and, quite frankly, clown looking when not wearing a jacket that I could never see myself wearing them. I am sure that they drape beautifully and that with a jacket on you look smashing but the picture of that guy's (Thomas Mahon?) backside in those pants is absolutely brutal. I prefer the side tab adjusters or the side button.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I know this pant style is popular with some, but it is so incredibly unflattering and, quite frankly, clown looking when not wearing a jacket that I could never see myself wearing them. I am sure that they drape beautifully and that with a jacket on you look smashing but the picture of that guy's (Thomas Mahon?) backside in those pants is absolutely brutal. I prefer the side tab adjusters or the side button.

Yes, one would have to either keep their jacket on or wear a waistcoat because such an exaggerated fishtail should not be exposed. That said, trousers hang infinitely better with fishtail and braces.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Yeah, these look much too high. Lower ones would look a lot better. I think someone (Mistahlee?) posted a pic of a pair he had that looked pretty good.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the more traditional suits, trousers all seem to be very high-waisted. For example with belted trousers they would be the so called "Hollywood Waist."

Usually the waistline is set at about the navel.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
For the more traditional suits, trousers all seem to be very high-waisted. For example with belted trousers they would be the so called "Hollywood Waist."

Usually the waistline is set at about the navel.

I have many Oxxford trousers with a "Hollywood Waist", many with "dropped loops".

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree, edmorel. But you are free to have your own taste.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I disagree, edmorel. But you are free to have your own taste.
It doesn't help that those have no rear pockets, which I think help to break up the line of the man-butt we don't really need to be flaunting. I have a suit with only one rear pocket and I don't even like the look of those pants on that side - too much exposure for me.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
There is an uncomfortable resemblence to that water melon smashing comedian Gallagher.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

Actually, Hollywood waisted trousers are only a specific subset of high-waisted trousers. In reality, they lack a waist band and the vertical seams reach all the way to the top of the trouser. Typically, Hollywood waist trousers have dropped belt loops, enabling the belt to fit at the natural waist and the top part of the trouser to stop just below the rib cage. For men, they reached the zenth of their popularity in the 1950s.

YoungFogey

Reaction score
I have a few fishtail trousers which are very high (like the stripes in the pic above) and have no back pockets. I generally wear them with waistcoats (which are quite short), but when they are worn without, they often get compliments. Especially from women
smile.gif
. (Those who love tailoring go ape.)

Like most things, braceback trousers look best on the slim. I'm a lawyer in NY, and no one has ever said anything untoward about them to me; however, I have a British background that seems to give me undeserved licence in these things. An American friend in a more corporate environment has been kidded about his "farmer pants".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads