• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of brown shoes with charcoal suits

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a charcoal Zegna suit which I have normally worn with black shoes.

Now,after reading numerous posts on the forum extolling the virtues of brown shoes with charcoal suits, I am considering purchasing a new pair of brown shoes.

My quandry? What shade of brown will I like best? Anyone have pictures?
lookaround.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin

Now,after reading numerous posts on the forum extolling the virtues of brown shoes with charcoal suits, I am considering purchasing a new pair of brown shoes.

lookaround.gif

look through the WAYWN thread in men's clothing, you'll see like 3 pix per page of this combo. You can wear charcoal with any shade of brown under the sun (Which is in large part the reason that charcoal is a standard 1st suit color choice)

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
You realize, of course, that you're now totally screwed? You have a fatal case of SF.
Joel's right, you can wear pretty much any shade of brown with that suit. But what happens is you get a pair in, say, Edwardian tan. You love it - it's a revelation after always choosing black shoes. But then, you'll see this guy -- perhaps in the SF WAYWN thread - in a dark suit and the most kick-ass dark oak shoes. You'll need your own. Then, you'll see somebody else wearing a these shoes in the most awesome not-quite-chocolate, not-quite-tobacco shade of brown and won't be able to rest until you have some in the exact same shade. And then -- well, suffice it to say you've planted your black-shod foot firmly on a slippery slope, my friend.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
You realize, of course, that you're now totally screwed? You have a fatal case of SF.
-- well, suffice it to say you've planted your black-shod foot firmly on a slippery slope, my friend.

God help me!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Joel's right, you can wear pretty much any shade of brown with that suit. But what happens is you get a pair in, say, Edwardian tan. You love it - it's a revelation after always choosing black shoes. But then, you'll see this guy -- perhaps in the SF WAYWN thread - in a dark suit and the most kick-ass dark oak shoes. You'll need your own. Then, you'll see somebody else wearing a these shoes in the most awesome not-quite-chocolate, not-quite-tobacco shade of brown and won't be able to rest until you have some in the exact same shade. And then -- well, suffice it to say you've planted your black-shod foot firmly on a slippery slope, my friend.

Don't even get started on suede.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God help me!
I think you may have to go a bit further than that for assistance at this point. And I am not talking votive candles, either
tongue.gif
At this point I have to make a conscious decision to wear my black shoes with almost anything, even dark charcoal or black. Seriously. This place has ruined me
crazy.gif
P.s. then there is also burgundy and tan to consider
devil.gif
(and plum, and navy and gray...)

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

lookaround.gif

go with a rich, deep dark brown. one particular color especially is something like JohnLobb's museum browns like parisian, dark brown, or dark oak

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre

At first glance I read that as "and plum, and navy and gravy" and I thought, yes, he's right, gravy would make an excellent shade for a shoe.
inlove.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
go with a rich, deep dark brown. one particular color especially is something like JohnLobb's museum browns like parisian, dark brown, or dark oak

That would be my recommendation for your first brown, too.

Confucius

Reaction score
I'm a black-to-brown shoe convert too. Once you go er....brown, you can't go back.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
P.s. then there is also burgundy and tan to consider
devil.gif

You people are the devil!!
bounce2.gif

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Don't even get started on suede.

I almost did with those mink split toes you had on here the other day!

LapelQueen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Confucius
I'm a black-to-brown shoe convert too. Once you go er....brown, you can't go back.

This caused the recent split with the girlfriend.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Confucius
Once you go er....brown, you can't go back.

I manage it all the time. No brown in town for me.

So speaketh the man who wore brown suede Carminas with a charcoal POW check lounge suit to a concert today....

It's OK for a casual weekend look especially worn with checks/plaids.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads