• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures from Costa Rica

Sabrosa

Reaction score
These are a few of the pictures I took on a trip to Costa Rica the summer before last and finally got around to uploading. Unfortunately, Whodini's picture could not be shown....he mentioned something about a potential conflict with his underwear modeling contract... We flew into San Jose and rented a car to drive down to Pavones for surfing. Although the waves there definitely aren't the largest in Costa Rica, when the conditions are right the point break is the second longest left breaking wave in the world.
1soccerbuildinget7.jpg
2roadtopavonesgi3.jpg
This is the dirt road you take to go down south after leaving Jaco. It's about 4 hours of driving on a dirt and gravel road with no lanes and telephone/electrical poles all over the place. I think at about hour 3 the antenna on our car snapped off from all the vibrations.
3ferryan5.jpg
4ferryagainuc3.jpg
Once you get close to Pavones you have to take this extraordinarily safe looking ferry across a river. It's basically a sheet of steel with pontoons and is attached to each side of the river by wire cables. It was easy enough to cross when we were coming down, but on the way back it had been raining so much that the river was flooded and they were loosing control of the ferry. With the current being that strong it took them going back and forth 4 or 5 times to reach the landing on the other side.
5abovepavonesns5.jpg
Pavones beach from the mountains/hills you cross on the way into the town.
6secretbreaklp8.jpg
The actual point break at Pavones is the spot that it is most well known for and is usually quite crowded when the waves are good. We had a friend who lives in town and took us to some of the breaks the locals use. The is an example of one of them after a short hike through the jungle. The break is right around the corner up ahead.
6asecretbreak2tu3.jpg
7birdyt1.jpg
7arockbreakcj0.jpg
8crabbd4.jpg
9forestwaterfallvb9.jpg
10watertreedn1.jpg
10awatertree2nc1.jpg
11cleardaymg9.jpg
12buymelm5.jpg
Since it's still somewhat hard to get to and secluded there is some really great land available up in the hills above Pavones. I'm standing at the edge of one of the plots. This could be the view from your back porch...
13rightideawv9.jpg
We met the guy who owns this house hanging out at a local cantina. He lives in this house for six months out of the year and his house in Maui the other six months. He has a 12 year old son who is home schooled and is well on his way to being a professional surfer...slightly jealous...
14pavonesbreaksw2.jpg
15pavonesbreak2lv6.jpg
16pavonesbreak3lf3.jpg
17localsbreakkd4.jpg
17alocalsbreak1uh1.jpg
18localsbreak2kw1.jpg
I don't know if anyone is familiar with professional surfers, but this is Ashley Lopez, Cory Lopez's sister. They have a house in Pavones that her and her mom were staying at while we were there. Unfortunately, she decided to go to FSU over UF because she thought it would be more fun...oh well, no 100 person beer bong for her.
18alocalsbreak2aez9.jpg
19localsbreak3qm5.jpg
20localsbreak4fr1.jpg
21localsbreak5us4.jpg
21alocalsbreak5alg6.jpg
inlove.gif
22monkeyiv9.jpg
23sunsetzw7.jpg
24sunset2ay1.jpg
25sunset3jz7.jpg
26waterfalleu2.jpg
27volcanoxg0.jpg
28volcanolakeua5.jpg
This is a shot of the Poas volcano outside of San Jose. We decided to take the mountain route back to San Jose instead of the dirt trail.
29junglebirdtn4.jpg
30junglebeetleqf0.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Awesome pics. I just got back from Panama, and the Pacific coast looks exactly the same. But I couldn't find any good waves.
plain.gif

jqbomb

Reaction score
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. I've spent a lot of time in Costa over the past few years but have never made it down to Pavones. Never had it in me to make that drive...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pix! The surfer chick is a hottie
bounce2.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beautiful,

Costa Rica has become the fun spot for Texans even more so than Belize was for tourists 10 or 15 years ago that is.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Beautiful,

Costa Rica has become the fun spot for Texans even more so than Belize was for tourists 10 or 15 years ago that is.

No kidding. One of my classmates down here is from Midland/Odessa, one of my best friends was from Dallas, we've got a number of western bbq bars down here (including one called "Texas"), etc.

Sabrosa, well, that was worth the wait. Helllll yes. I'll see about posting some "best of" pics in this thread. BTW, what camera did you use?

It was good to hang out and have breakfast that day. If anyone else plans on coming down here, PM me and I'd be happy to give you some advice or hit a bar with you when I get some free time.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Great photos which, as good as they are, I'm sure barely capture the beauty of the land and sea. I spent Thanksgiving in Costa Rica last year -- Quepos/Manuel Antonio -- and have been missing it ever since.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sabrosa
This is a shot of the Poas volcano outside of San Jose. We decided to take the mountain route back to San Jose instead of the dirt trail.

This is the Arenal volcano from my trip

34rgenk.jpg

I loved it down there and am going back for another week in May 2009.

X-It

Reaction score
Superb, Sabrosa!
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads