1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Picture of Dorian gray--screenshots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tiger02, Mar 13, 2006.

1. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

First, an 8x4 doublebreasted lounge suit. Not only for power forwards!
    [​IMG]

Next, a dinner jacket with silk cuffs, of which someone was looking for a picture. This is an extreme example.
    [​IMG]

And finally, what appears to be a velvet shawl collared DJ. This brings me to an interesting question: DJ are no longer considered appropriate for the average dinner out. Would you consider going out in incognito but (mostly)appropriate dinner attire? I'm thinking a jacket like this one (or with narrower lapels), with pants sporting a satin stripe, normal collared shirt, maybe a black ascot with white pindots or just an open collar. A bit of subtle sophistication.

[​IMG]

2. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

What, no one's willing to wear a tux to dinner anymore? [​IMG]

3. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

From time to time I will don a dinner jacket for a special evening with Mrs. Vintage Gent, if for no other reason than to confer upon the evening a certain elegance.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

that pic reminded me that I own an 8x4 pinstriped double breast suit that hasnt seen wear in many years

5. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I would call that a smoking, rather than a dinner jacket. To add to the confusion, the French and many Scandinavians call a dinner jacket a "smoking". This is probably due to same confusion.

A smoking jacket is homewear, on par with a dressing-gown, I think.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I believe the whole le Smoking being a dinner jacket stemmed from the 1920s where if one were wearing a dinner suit then inevitably one would be smoking cigarettes.

THe two go naturally together, as seen by the French; quite chic.

7. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

that pic reminded me that I own an 8x4 pinstriped double breast suit that hasnt seen wear in many years

Is it a neo-Edwardian mod suit?

8. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Is it a neo-Edwardian mod suit?

That's exactly what the top photo looks like, I think.