• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictorial Ties/Pocket Squares like Hermes & Ferragamo: Other Brands, Sources to Buy?

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Hello!

I think that the pictorial sorts of ties and pocket squares, typical of Hermes and Ferragamo, exhibit an appropriate quantity of whimsy for someone of my disposition, temperament, and completely unprofessional lifestyle; what better (aesthetic) way to wear a suit or sportcoat and not come off as being too serious for my age and circumstance?

But so far, the only place I can find much of a selection is on eBay, and the only brands that I am aware of as being in harmony with my burgeoning tastes are Hermes and Ferragamo - surely there must be more than those two?

So I was just wondering if any of you knew of any sources for purchasing ties/squares of this sort besides eBay (maybe somewhere I can buy them new?) and also whether any other manufacturers offer much in this style.

Thanks very much for your time and assistance, have a good one.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift stores.

Do you wear flip flops?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I just bought two from Rubinacci. One is a map of the Mediterranean with Naples at the center and the other is a painting of the HMS Victory.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I bought the Rubinacci Naples map PS as well. Does that make us e-brothers?

I also bought my fiancee the Rubinacci opera house pocket square to use as a gavroche.

I have belated realized that she is not all that into scarves.
frown.gif

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Antirabbit - yowza, what a catty mood you're in. For a man, anyway. Have a drink and smile, darn ya, smile.
If your avatar is a picture of yourself or of what you consider to be an example of style, then I'm not remotely disappointed to find you in disagreement with my taste. What have you got against rabbits anyway? One very helpful member of this forum has done very well for himself by following one.
If you can post a picture of someone looking ridiculous while wearing Hermes or Ferragamo, I'll concede that you have some kind of point, but I've read only good things about them up until now. so your comment kind of throws me for a loop. Are you old enough yourself to know that they're universally dismissed by the sartorial cognescenti as being old hat? I'm not old enough to know, so it would only be in keeping with the tradition of good Southern manners (or any other kind of manners) for you to adulterate your admirable superciliousness with some small measure of useful knowledge.

I just thought that Hermes and Ferragamo - and pictorial ties/squares - were the typical Italian style.

I wear flip-flops whenever I go to Wal-Mart to stock up on bulk tubs of ranch dressing, naturally.

EWP, Mafoo, kittycatRJman, thank you all. Paul Smith's long-haired models discourage me a bit, but I'll see what I can find.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, I just bought two from Rubinacci. One is a map of the Mediterranean with Naples at the center and the other is a painting of the HMS Victory.

Please tell me these are squares and not ties.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Please tell me these are squares and not ties.
They are. I have a couple and like them a lot.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
They are. I have a couple and like them a lot.

Do you have the cologne from the Carlyle?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I like to talk to salesmen, not concierges.

You mean you don't like to talk to tailors in back rooms?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The map of Naples one sounds neat, I don't recall seeing it when I was last there. Some Jermyn Street firm should make a one with a map of the West End.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There was a T&A pocket square showing their shopfront on Jermyn Street which looked nice. It sold on ebay for a high price.

regrettably the Jermyn St shops are pretty much racing to the bottom on accessories. At H&K they had a few old Macclesfield PSs, some machine stitched, in solid colors and some sober PSs made in China.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Ooooh. I want one with the Victory. Cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads