• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pics of my Loake 1880 Ritz on the Mayfair last

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to giving my new Loake 1880 Ritz on the Mayfair last thier first conditioning(With Lexol) and polish (w/ meltonian dark brown) and just wanted to share my results with everyone.

The leather really came out nicely after first polish, I have yet to wear them.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this purchase, considering they only cost me $150.00 or so delivered from Pediwear. These are definitely a good value for anyone on a budget.

If you intend to purchase anything on the Mayfair, size down exactly 1 full size from your U.S size. Although a very different last, I would compare the fit to be very close to that of C&J 348 for reference. In conclusion if you have a wider foot (Anything E and wider in U.S) than this last is not for you. Otherwise the fit is good.

Pics are below:

1001.jpg

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

1004.jpg

1005.jpg

1006.jpg

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steven,

Those look nice. You can bet no one else in town has a pair.

I see you shine your own shoes. My best source for shoe cleaning/shining supplies is Landwerlen Leather Co. They are located @ 365 South Illinois (across the street from the bus station). This is where shoeshine stands get their supplies.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice looking colour.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are very nice. I just checked the site to see if they were still available in 12. I'd buy them if they were. I much prefer the sole and overall look of those to the ones I have.

I'm usually a 12.5 to 13, so I'd hope the 12's would fit.

misterjase

Reaction score
Nice shoes. The colour has depth to it. Well done.

But I wish that Loake didn't fiddle with the shape of the rubber on the heel!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very sharp looking. I see that all the 1880 Loakes on Pediwear come in a UK F width. Would you say the shoes on the Mayfair last (and Loakes in general) are somewhat slender - more like a UK E width? I generally wear a UK D or slender E width, but not a true F which would be too wide.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, re-reading it looks like you pretty much answered that the Mayfair is a pretty narrow last. Are other Loake lasts as narrow or is that the most slender and elegant?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very subtle. Those would make a great chukka.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Very subtle. Those would make a great chukka.

I agree, they would make a nice chukka.

I have the suede chukka on the 26 last, as well as the wingtip boot on the 26 coming in the mail. Both are also good shoes for the money.

Originally Posted by misterjase
Nice shoes. The colour has depth to it. Well done.
I wish that Loake didn't fiddle with the shape of the rubber on the heel!

Were those the trees that came with the shoes?

No the trees in the picture are Woodlore "style" trees from Costco.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A poor man's Luffield. And I mean that in a good way.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
A poor man's Luffield. And I mean that in a good way.

That is very funny I thought the same! They feel nothing like my lobbs, but cost a fraction of the price.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I cant stress enough to really condition and polish these well before wearing using the product I suggested. Out of the box the leather did not have much character. The conditioning really helped with the initial creasing when they got their first wear today, and softened the leather up nicely.

agent86a

Reaction score
Many thanks for sharing these pics! I am glad to hear that sizing down 1 size worked for you. I actually have a pair on their way to me from Herrings, and I was beginning to worry that they might be too big with all I had read about Loakes running large.

I love the way your pair looks and I might try the same polishing approach. Does the lexol you used have a specific number? It looks like lexol has several different products which are generally marketed for car interiors and I just want to make sure I buy the right stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads