• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pics of my Burlington anomaly plus related interview questions

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I bought a vintage trench off eBay from the Nino Cerruti 1881 label. It is cut incredibly well and fits amazingly but the construction methods and materials used are horrible! Cheap plastic buckles and cheap plastic buttons, it is too embarassing to wear. I took them to the local tailor to ask if he could replace them, he said he could not replace them cost effectively (they would have to be sought out and ordered from God-knows-where), he agreed the fit of the trench was good but scolded me for buying something so shoddily made. I hope you have better luck with your NC 1881 garment.
In this case the Cerruti label refers only to the fabric. ('Tessuto...')

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
In this case the Cerruti label refers only to the fabric. ('Tessuto...')

I was responding more to the LabelKing post about 1881 being the premier Cerruti line, I know he is quite well-versed in these matters (given his moniker) so it made me think twice about the authenticity of my item. The cut is great, so could the buttons and buckles have been scavenged and replaced by substitutes of lesser quality? Is it possible someone would have bothered to fake such an item? Don't mean to hijack the OP here, just curious.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the sleeve of the Andreani suit. 4 non working buttons. (And more pickstitching)
KIF_9061.jpg
The custom suit has 4 working buttons. I do have other suits but thanks to some recent weight loss
laugh.gif
I can not wear them. They are not expensive suits so I have not felt the need to have them altered. (CK from Romania and Canada, Red'ster from Italy) With regards to the custom suit I was told by career services not to wear it to an interview since it has light blue pinstripes. Also, does "non-working" refer to actually non functional buttons or simply buttons sewn on without even fake button holes?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I am a practising attorney and participate in the office's hiring process. I generally agree with J. I think the shoes are the bigger problem and would certainly recommend a far more conservative choice, such a captoes. However, if you only had black wing-tips, it would be fine. As to the suit, aside from the pick stitching, I would note that this suits appears to be a true 3 button with a somewhat high button stance. This will look a bit fashion forward to some older partner types who tend to dress very, very trad.
+1
The suit's fine for interview purposes, albeit not ideal. But it's conservative enough that you should be fine. You need lace-up shoes, as marc and j have said. I'd go with either a white shirt or, if for some reason white really doesn't work for your complexion etc., light blue. Nothing outside that color range. For the tie, I'd go for stripes or another sedate pattern, with the base color being a primary color along the lines of navy-to-midrange blue, flat red, or possibly a muted green.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
Here is the sleeve of the Andreani suit. 4 non working buttons. (And more pickstitching)

KIF_9061.jpg

The custom suit has 4 working buttons.

I do have other suits but thanks to some recent weight loss
laugh.gif
I can not wear them. They are not expensive suits so I have not felt the need to have them altered. (CK from Romania and Canada, Red'ster from Italy)

With regards to the custom suit I was told by career services not to wear it to an interview since it has light blue pinstripes.

Also, does "non-working" refer to actually non functional buttons or simply buttons sewn on without even fake button holes?

1. Personally I think the pinstripe suit would probably be fine (although I'm basing that on the one picture you posted), especially if it fits well and you like how it looks (because that will make you more confident and comfortable). (Of course, the career services person's quote may have screwed that up if it makes you self-conscious about wearing the suit on interviews.)
2. I understand not wanting to spend money altering your cheap suits. But it may be worth doing to give you a decent second suit for interviews. Those cheap suits may not last you years and years, but to get you through interviews what you really want are passable suits that fit you properly.
3. I've always understood "non-working" or "non-functioning" buttons to include both buttons with "fake" button-holes and buttons that are simply affixed with no attempt to simulate button-holes.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Two things:

1. The pinstriping seems fine. Cannot comment on anything other than the slive of fabric shown. If the suit is conservative in cut, it would would for an interview.
2. Not all of us attorneys do "very well indeed." However, because of sample sales, ebay, thrifting, etc. we are able to partake in the Oxxford-level of dress from time-to-time.

I know not all Attorneys do "very well indeed"! As you say, it's really a matter of good taste and utilizing resources as you've pointed out!

Here in Houston, I know many Attorneys that do 'Very, very, well indeed", and dress haphazardly. It's truly a matter of priorities and taste.

Back to the OP. I guess the solid charcoal would be the suit to go with if you feel best about it. I'm surprised "Career services" nixed the pinstripe.

Rolo

Reaction score
As an attorney that has sat on many a hiring committee, I'll add my $0.02.

For folks coming out of school, the quality of the suit is not that important (and won't be noticed by most of the people making the hiring decision).

Here's what is important:

1. Your clothes are clean.
2. Your shirt is pressed.
3. Your suit is pressed (note that is "suit" not "sportcoat").
4. Your shoes are polished.

(all of the above indicate that YOU have taken the time to put yourself together and respect the situation).

5. Your clothing is conservative and appropriate for a beginning lawyer. (Dark suit, dark shoes (lace ups))
6. Nothing overdone.
7. Nothing flashy.

(the above show that you have a clue and can excerise good judgment. Your choice of clothing is under your control. This is the first opportunity you have to show that you can make appropriate decisions.)

8. Wear clothes that fit.

(Good fitting clothes make you look sharp. Ill-fitting clothes make you look sloppy. If you're sloppy, what's your work going to be like? A very cheap, but good fitting suit will take you much much further than an ill-fitting Brioni. Let's face it, you're a student. We don't expect you to spend $3K on a suit, but we do assume that you can go the Men's Wearhouse and pick up something that fits).

9. Avoid trying to stand out through your clothes.

(You want to be remembered as the smart guy or the guy that would be fun to work with, not the guy with the weird tie. Let's face it, if your answers to interview questions don't distinguish you from the other candidates, a unique article of clothing isn't going to help).

10. Don't step anywhere near fashion's edge.

(Unbuttoned sleeve buttons on your jacket sleeves? No! Most of your interviewers will simply think you missed a button. A perfect little pocket puff that picks up that subtle green thread that's running through your jacket. Are you kidding? Any pocket square is a risk with these guys. In fact, if anything you're about to do conjures up the word "sprezzatura," stop.)

Remember, your clothes can say a lot about you. However, if the clothes are carrying the primary message, it's usually a bad one. If the message is a good one, it is subtle and reinforces the confidence and competence that YOU are bringing to the interview. In short, your clothes will never get you a job, but they can help you get a job. On the other hand, your clothing decisions can certainly lose you a job.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Why are the shoulder seams pick-stitched? Wouldn't one want the excess fabric laid flat to either side of the seam, rather pick-stitched against the back side, thus creating a ridge where none need be?

On this general subject, I noted last night at the David Chu sale that nearly all his suits have spalla-camicia-type pick-stitching above the armscye. It worked on some models more than others, but it seemed dubious to me as a "signature."

I think that it all has to do with the "I Love Naples" trend in clothing. Pretty much all seams on a jacket from Naples will be lapped and picked. The real tailors do it in a way that it creates no bump. The stitching around the armhole does not make it "spalla camicia". It is just that many jackets with a spalla camicia have this stitching.

hdblue

Reaction score
Dear friends I like Pics of my Burlington anomaly plus related interview questions very much. Very useful for me. If you have some time, pls visit my blog at: Warehouse interview questions Rgs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads