• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Picking Between Two Suit Jacket Sizes?

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Almost all of my jackets were Spier & Mackay size 38 slim. I gained a few pounds and had my tailor retake my measurements and my chest was 40". I decided to buy my next suit in size 40 slim and I like it, but I think most of my 38 jackets & blazers still look fine. I'm trying to determine which size I should buy for my next suit/jacket, 38 or 40.

Do any of you wear more than one size jacket in the same brand? What should I do?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, I wear the same size. Post pictures of the jackets and we can give recommendations. Official thread on S&M is helpful for that as well.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Here is the size 38

IMG_2993.jpg
IMG_2987.jpg
IMG_2986.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is your chest literally 40", or is this the jacket measurement you were given?

It's an easy enough measurement to take at home, if you have the tape.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Sorry I just got the chance to take pictures of both. I am still having a real difficult time deciding which I should buy more of. Again I really appreciate y'alls help! :]

Here is size 38:
IMG_3552.jpg
IMG_3553.jpg

Here is size 40:

IMG_3551.jpg
IMG_3548.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm I see what you mean, they're not very different aside from the length. Odd, I'd expect the 40 to be a bit larger overall.

I prefer the 40R due to the length, but I find it difficult to judge due to the jeans being worn that are seemingly low rise.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of the two, I prefer the size 40.

Were the previous pictures before you gained size?

tcmquincy

Reaction score
Of the two, I prefer the size 40.

Were the previous pictures before you gained size?

Those pictures were only from like 3 weeks ago (I know I am the same weight in all of these pictures). I have a different pose in them and its a much different camera angle. The sides could be tailored differently on the jackets also. Let me snap a picture of one of those jackets to help compare (also size 38).

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Your camera is a bit low and it looks like you aren't standing naturally, so it is hard to judge the pictures perfectly, but the 40 looks better. In particular, the length is better.

Generally, when people on here are debating between two sizes, they should go with the larger size. People tend to err on the side of too small.

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I might have a hard time getting a better photo by myself. Here are the only good ones I have of the size 38 I got a few days ago. I'm leaning towards sizing up but its such a tough decision lol

IMG_4173_edit_25.jpg
IMG_4253 edit.jpg

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the 40 looks better. It is a better length and it feels like it fits across your chest better. The lapels bow out on the 38 and less so on the 40.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
False choice. Find a different brand that carries a 39. There's seldom a reason to settle for one brand that fits poorly in some hard-to-alter ways.

Emmanuel1

Reaction score
Vent pops in the back of the 38. You will have more success tailoring down the 40

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics