• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Picked up my first bespoke sport coat and shirt - By Richard Lim of High Society-Pics

coolal

Reaction score
So I picked up my first foray into bespoke clothing today. I've been working with Richard Lim's shop High Society.

I had ordered a sport coat with suiting (Super 130 cashmere / wool) and lining (vintage silk) I brought myself.

The C.M.T. (Cut / Make / Trim) rate for the sport coat is $480, plus 20 for working button holes and 15 for stitching around and down the lapel.

After reading this form endlessly I was able to ask some of the right questions to determine some key facts about the work at High Society.

My sport coat was cut from a custom pattern. The coat is fully canvased and most likely machine pad stitched (i think the right term) on the lapel. Richard Lim said he likes to use little to zero fusing on the coats.

This shoulder is not "natural", but was slightly padded after the basted fitting because of the protruding bony structure of my shoulder.

Here is a pic I took when i got home. The shirt is also from High Society, however, I didn't bother tucking it in because it wasn't worth wrinkling for a quick shot. It's 90 degrees in Los Angeles today, so I spared you my sweaty face and collar isn't "perfect". This pic should mainly be judged for the fit of the jacket. BTW I'm 6'0", size 40 chest 32/33 waist and about 170lbs.
sportcoata.jpg

I'm curious what you guys think. What would you like closer details of?

Here is the shirt by the way, without being tucked in I don't think it looks perfect. When standing straight, I can't notice the cloth touching my body, it really does float around me. C.M.T rate was $150
shirta.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm certainly not trying to hold a flame to the work of Savile Row or any of the truly high end artistans. I am however, trying to graduate from a dependence on label designers and enter the world of custom clothing.

What are some thoughts? I'd like to know what I should ask for next time in order to successfully guide this relationship in a positive direction (towards perfect fitment every time).

Thanks,
Alex

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice from the front, but a picture of the back would be useful...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And side.

coolal

Reaction score
Hey guys, here are some more pics to judge fitment and some close up of the suiting:

darta.jpg

flapandcuffa.jpg

Sport coat from the side and back:

sportcoatsidea.jpg
sportcoatbacka.jpg

The shirt from side and back:

shirtsidea.JPG
shirtbacka.jpg

penguin vic

Reaction score
Looks great in the first pic but in the side view balance looks off as does sleeve pitch (in my i-tailor opinion).

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sleeve pitch looks off, and the jacket/shirt both don't really show the 7-8" drop you have.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that in the side view the balance and sleeve pitch look off.

What we can't tell is if you're standing as you usually do. If your normal posture were more stooped (i.e. you were standing extra-straight for the camera), the coat would fit you better than the picture indicates.

How many fittings did you have?

I like the shirt. I would ask for slightly shorter sleeves if they don't pull up too much when you move around.

Speaking of which, how are the armholes on both shirt and jacket?

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
I agree that in the side view the balance and sleeve pitch look off.

What we can't tell is if you're standing as you usually do. If your normal posture were more stooped (i.e. you were standing extra-straight for the camera), the coat would fit you better than the picture indicates.

How many fittings did you have?

I like the shirt. I would ask for slightly shorter sleeves if they don't pull up too much when you move around.

Speaking of which, how are the armholes on both shirt and jacket?

Thanks for the comments. In regards to sleeve pitch, what should I ask for next time to correct this?

It is true, I "corrected" my posture a bit for the photos and my shoulders do stoop forward a little when relaxed.

There was one basted fitting for the coat and no fittings for the shirt.

The armholes on the shirt are spot on, the left armhole on my coat is perfect, however, the right armhole is a very slightly tighter at the rear under my arm (easily corrected i imagine). Overall the jacket is simply splendid to wear. The fully canvased structure really does feel very poised on my body.

-Alex

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
sleeve pitch looks off, and the jacket/shirt both don't really show the 7-8" drop you have.

Vitaminc, how would I go about accentuating the 7-8" drop more effectively? What terminology should I use to communicate the change in design for the next coat and possible alteration on this one.

-Alex

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you tell us anything about the fabric selections Lim has in-house? Would there be a decent assortment of British jacketings, for instance?

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Can you tell us anything about the fabric selections Lim has in-house? Would there be a decent assortment of British jacketings, for instance?

I can't tell you much about their selection of British jacketings, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they had a very good selection.

Their selection of suitings is quite substantial. They seem to carry all the major's from Loro Piana and Zegna to Scabal.

I personally fingered through 300-400 shirting samples today, and probably didn't touch half of their examples, while picking out fabric for a new shirt.

-Alex

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
Very nice shirts, I plan to visit Mr. Lim when I am back in LA to have some shirts made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads