• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Picked up my Blazer from Richard Lim - High Society - 56k Beware!

coolal

Reaction score
Every so often I notice a question in the forum about Richard Lim and his shop High Society. However, searches don't turn up much.

When I wanted to place my second order with Richard, I started a thread in the London Lounge and AAAC:

LL Thread:
http://thelondonlounge.net/forum/vie...php?f=4&t=8963

AAAC Thread:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=95750

Today, however, I finally picked up the result of that process. I'm really happy with the results and wanted to share it with the board.

There are some contemporary topics that played into the detail choices: smoked MOP buttons and the open peak lapel (on the thinner side).

Hopefully this will help those searching for details about Richard Lim and those curious with how MOP looks on a navy blazer.

ENJOY!

Standard Shots

Arms down default shot & arms up:
armsdown.png
armsup.png

The side and back:
blazerside.png
blazerback.png

Hand Finishing Detail Shots

First off is the back of the collar & lapel. There is noticeable pad stitching behind the lapel and nearly invisible pick stitching along the edge. Additionally, it looks like the collar is attached by hand:

lapelcollarback.jpg

I think this is the same stitching that attaches the collar:

label.jpg

Buttonhole detail, It looks like the buttonholes are sewn by hand as well:

buttonholes.jpg

Behind the cuffs and working buttonholes. Looks like the cuff is hand finished and the lining is attached by hand.

cuffback.jpg

Lastly, some of the handwork attaching the lining to the vent flap:

ventwork.jpg

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thats a beautiful jacket but did they over surpress the waist or is your rear end wider or as wide as your shoulder? Because it kinda looks like the vents are flaring out.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Looks cool from the front but I think the lower back makes you look like you've got a lot of junk in the trunk and the underarm area has too much fabric. I like the lapels and you look generally sharp.

Get those eyebrows plucked so that they look the same, no need to overdo it and make them all girly just arrange for them to be identical. While you're at it shave your teenager mustache+chin hairs or grow a real beard. Sorry about that but it's really distracting.

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeff13007
thats a beautiful jacket but did they over surpress the waist or is your rear end wider or as wide as your shoulder? Because it kinda looks like the vents are flaring out.
They're not. Look at the side shot.

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Just a few things:

You look like the offspring of skinnygoomba+randallr
Those lapels could get old very fast
There are some fit issues it looks like, but I am not an itailor so will leave that up to others to point out.

I'll admit, they are on thin side. That was part of the effect. Traditional styling for the most part, with some modern flare. In the future I'm going to add between .5" and .75" to the width, depending on what the coat will be used for.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Looks cool from the front but I think the lower back makes you look like you've got a lot of junk in the trunk and the underarm area has too much fabric. I like the lapels and you look generally sharp.

Get those eyebrows plucked so that they look the same, no need to overdo it and make them all girly just arrange for them to be identical. While you're at it shave your teenager mustache+chin hairs or grow a real beard. Sorry about that but it's really distracting.

heh, thanks for the grooming tips Fuuma. One eyebrow is held down by the sweat developing after 15 mins of fiddling with the camera in 85 degree LA weather. The unkempt appearance is thanks to two days of not shaving.

Forgive me, I was focusing on the blazer, and thought pruning was going a bit too far!

Sage advice, nonetheless, I'll know better next time...
biggrin.gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is High Society in Beverly Hills?

Do they have the clothes made in Asia?

Did they alter/work on the collar?

coolal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Is High Society in Beverly Hills?

Do they have the clothes made in Asia?

Did they alter/work on the collar?

On Wilshire, in what is probably Korea Town (Between Hollywood and Downtown for the uninformed).

The clothing is made on the premises and my cutter "Hann" works from start to finish with me.

Originally Posted by ranker
I find it gorgeous. How much does a piece like that cost to commission?

Not Beverly Hills prices ;-). I sourced my own suiting, lining and buttons. The C.M.T rate was around $550.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me. I'd possibly have given the back a little more shape, but the vents do look great on the side shot so having the jacket follow the contour of your back might have made them flare a little.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolal
I'll admit, they are on thin side. That was part of the effect. Traditional styling for the most part, with some modern flare. In the future I'm going to add between .5" and .75" to the width, depending on what the coat will be used for.

heh, thanks for the grooming tips Fuuma. One eyebrow is held down by the sweat developing after 15 mins of fiddling with the camera in 85 degree LA weather. The unkempt appearance is thanks to two days of not shaving.

Forgive me, I was focusing on the blazer, and thought pruning was going a bit too far!

Sage advice, nonetheless, I'll know better next time...
biggrin.gif

I like the styling choices, you really don't need to deviate from it if it satisfied you unless you want something more conservative. I'd really get some adjustment on the back though to make it as sleek as the front. I like the shape of the arms.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the styling choices, you really don't need to deviate from it if it satisfied you unless you want something more conservative. I'd really get some adjustment on the back though to make it as sleek as the front. I like the shape of the arms.

As Fuuma has said, the front is nice but the back is lacking in shape and there is too much fabric at the back of the shoulders, between your shoulder-blades and your sleeves. I think that it would benefit from the waist being given more shape at the back, too.

Having said that, such things are very subjective, and you may love the fit just the way it is.

modsquad

Reaction score
I have no special tailoring expertise, but just looking at the pictures, I agree with the observation that there is too much fabric under the arms/behind the shoulders and you should lose some of it if you can. I don't think it makes your behind look big. The part hanging over your rear end looks fine to me.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those guys are nuts. The extra fabric over the shoulder blades in the back is fine, unless you plan to stand perfectly straight with your arms at your side all day.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Those guys are nuts. The extra fabric over the shoulder blades in the back is fine, unless you plan to stand perfectly straight with your arms at your side all day.

I don't know, I think he can do a Hulk Hogan flex
233306-hulk_hogan___nwo_flex_thumb.jpg

and still have fabric...thats a lot...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads