1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pick-up basketball in the city sucks

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by TheD0n, Jun 19, 2010.

1. fairholme_wannabe

fairholme_wannabe Senior member

there is a HUGE difference between white & black / high & low socioeconomic games in the level of physicality, trash talking, athleticism, organization and passing (or lack thereof).

FTFY

2. West24

West24 Senior member

you see the biggest losers at pick up. when i was serious into basketball i would play tons of pick up with completely different people in completely different areas. i can tell you that playing with urban guys 28-38 still living off their highschool stardom is the worst. they generally havent accomplished anything more then what they were in highschool, yet they suck now and are losing the athleticism etc. they get pissed when you beat them and get rough, call fouls on everything and talk shit.

the next worse are young black guys in not so rough areas trying to over compensate for them not actually being from a rough part.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

you see the biggest losers at pick up. when i was serious into basketball i would play tons of pick up with completely different people in completely different areas. i can tell you that playing with urban guys 28-38 still living off their highschool stardom is the worst. they generally havent accomplished anything more then what they were in highschool, yet they suck now and are losing the athleticism etc. they get pissed when you beat them and get rough, call fouls on everything and talk shit.

the next worse are young black guys in not so rough areas trying to over compensate for them not actually being from a rough part.

ha ! that's funny.

4. Kris

Kris Senior member

All y'all hella raysist and shit. Errbye posting up in this thread hella hella raysist.

5. chenc

chenc Senior member

I played some today at the local college's rec center. There was this old guy (probably in his early 60's). He (obviously) can't keep up with guy he's guarding (everyone else probably 4 decades younger than him), so he'd commit foul on defense when the guy he's guarding gets close to scoring in the paint. He knocked me down once with elbow. Then give that disgusting smile and trying to play nice (so he doesn't get hit). I let it go. I thought it could be an accident. Today he knocked my teammate (I don't know the dude), and did the same smile shit again, even praised my teammate for making the shot despite being hit in the face by the old man. I was very tempted to "accidentally" let him have some.
    Oh, and today some black dude called me Chinaman. WTF?

6. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

All y'all hella raysist and shit. Errbye posting up in this thread hella hella raysist.

Oh, the irony.

7. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

Oh, and today some black dude called me Chinaman. WTF?

i dont see the probrem

8. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

This is just ignorant. I'm surprised you chose to waste the alphabet on this post.

9. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Dear OP,

This thread is a perfect comparison to a pick up game. You bring weak shit.....well....

Come on man, did you expect some other reactions?

In this thread you've been elbowed, boxed out and shut the fuck down.

It sounds like the games went the same way. It sucks to suck, doesn't it?

+1, the OP may be a true baller. However, after reading a pick-up ball complaint thread in a forum dedicated to style, it causes me to assume that he might not be all that great. As messed up as his experience was, I'm choosing to go with the possibility that the guy was just not that good.

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i have the same opinion as the OP's when it comes to pick up greco roman wrestling matches at my urban parks.

11. cldpsu

cldpsu Senior member

[​IMG]

"Michael Jordan asked me if I wanted to play in the NBA. I said 'Naw, shit my mess up my game!'"

12. mondayc

mondayc Senior member

This is style forum. What were you wearing?

13. chenc

chenc Senior member

i dont see the probrem
    It's not exactly the same as calling someone Irish or Italian. And it's as if all Asians are the same, and are from China. It was disrespectful, and I was annoyed. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chinaman

14. Oski

Oski Senior member

now how do you think the Lakers felt playing against the celtics?

[​IMG]

Some people do take pick up games too seriously though..

15. Fallen Angels

Fallen Angels Senior member

It's not exactly the same as calling someone Irish or Italian. And it's as if all Asians are the same, and are from China. It was disrespectful, and I was annoyed. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chinaman
    so did he pronounce it "china-min" or "china-man" ?

16. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

so did he pronounce it "china-min" or "china-man" ?
    Either way, it's not the preferred nomanclature. Asian-American, please.

17. ruzzi

ruzzi Senior member

anyone been playing pickup lately ? :D

18. Roger Stein

Roger Stein New Member

I play pickup basketball in Chicago no matter what they say here :D if you want to join, check out http://trytopic.com/ the game I organize is listed there

19. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

And what were the "african american" guys wearing?