• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pick-up basketball in the city sucks

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
This is what most sports have become, sadly. I stopped playing for this reason, unless it's something no contact like volleyball. Even volleyball has become dangerous because people spike the ball every play. How do they expect me to win if I need to take cover?

I watched an episode of the world series and saw they've developed a technique called "checking". It's really just a nicer way of saying that they beat each other with hockey sticks.

WTF are you talking about? I'm hoping all of this is tongue in cheek.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never really enjoyed basketball. IMO joining the local rugby team is a much better way of getting your dose of team sport and violence. People tend to self regulate better in genteel environments.

Mauby

Reaction score
Go back to the suburbs and play there...problem solved.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
I watched an episode of the world series and saw they've developed a technique called "checking". It's really just a nicer way of saying that they beat each other with hockey sticks.

It's hockey BATS!!! Not sticks!!! Get your terminology right noob....

Oldboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n
-I was fighting for position against the guy I was guarding before the ball was even passed in, and he fuckin throws an elbow at my mid section. Luckily it hit my forearm, which started to cramp up as the game went on.

baby-crying1.jpg

Grow some balls man. Elbows, trash-talk and general rough play are all a part of streetball. Maybe you can find a geriatric league for Caucasian males only that will suit your needs.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BackgroundI played in two different pick-up games in college - a game with fellow undergraduates, and one with University staff ages 25-60. Each game had its disadvantages, but it was always good-natured fun.

Some people have different competitive mindsets.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps ThePussay is a better name for the OP. I played pickup today for 2 hrs and a guy on the opposing team cried and bitched like the OP the entire time.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
It's hockey BATS!!! Not sticks!!! Get your terminology right noob....

I had a feeling I had something wrong!
laugh.gif

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing they don't consider it rough or overly competitive. It's just a matter of perspective. I lived in Ecuador for a while and everyday guys would meet up in the park to play volleyball. You'd think it was the olympics with people screaming at each other and large crowds. I later realized all the players and all the fans were betting. After that it made sense.

airblaster503

Reaction score
Where I play there are a few people that take it to seriously. Especially this battle-ax of a girl that is like 6'2 200 that I have had to guard several times, she just straight up throws elbows into your stomach until you don't guard her. I finally had to give her a well placed elbow to her baby maker one time and she stopped. There are some people that get overly pissed about nothing though.

mcs5280

Reaction score
Background

Attempt 1
The crowd: mostly African-American men ages 25-35, lower class

Attempt 2
The crowd: mostly African-American men ages 18-30, middle class

Enough said. You enjoy "white" bball. Run for the suburbs.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Detailed post contains details.
Relevant
details, anyway. He didn't tell us what he was wearing.
Background
(I absorbed the impact of a 200-pound black man .

From year of playing unorganized basketball I can generalize the type of game that will be played based on the appearance of the players. The color of peoples' skin affects their appearance.
Fair enough, but does a 200 pound black man weigh more than a 200 pound asian guy?
Also, I want to be clear that the color of my skin does not affect my appearance in any way whatosever. See my avatar.
Originally Posted by DNW
Maybe they were just ******* with you because you were a noob. You gotta spend a little time there before you get the respect you think you deserve. That's just street ball, IME.

Originally Posted by thekunk07
you must be a walking vag. toughen up mary.

These. Welcome to 90% of the pick-up games in America.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should tell them you're never going to play with working class black men again because of their behaviour. Especially not ones which weigh over 200lbs.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rock some guys with nasty picks and they will lighten up. Of course, it helps if you are 6'4", 250lbs.

But seriously, I think good picks (you are planted well and your teammate gets the guy covering him moving fast) are so underused. You do them a few times, and people give you some space in general.

Or, they may just beat the crap out of you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads