• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pick-up basketball in the city sucks

TheD0n

Reaction score
Background I played in two different pick-up games in college - a game with fellow undergraduates, and one with University staff ages 25-60. Each game had its disadvantages, but it was always good-natured fun. I don't know what it is about Chicago, but people here take it way too seriously. I have played at two different gyms around my neighborhood; each experience sucked. Attempt 1 Location: X-Sport Gym The crowd: mostly African-American men ages 25-35, lower class The problems: -fouls committed on every play (I couldn't even make a pass without getting hacked across the arms) -fouls called even when there was none (I absorbed the impact of a 200-pound black man driving to the basket, and he called a foul on me after missing his shot) -at one point people yelled at each other for literally 5 minutes over a loose-ball call. This was common. -after my team won, one of my teammates said to the other team "Get the **** off the court!" These guys are friends who play together regularly
puzzled.gif
Attempt 2 Location: DePaul's Ray Meyer Fitness Center The crowd: mostly African-American men ages 18-30, middle class The problems: -a complete lack of passing (except for one sweet alley-oop, which was ironically dunked by a 6'1" white guy) -I was fighting for position against the guy I was guarding before the ball was even passed in, and he fuckin throws an elbow at my mid section. Luckily it hit my forearm, which started to cramp up as the game went on. Closing comments These guys are taking pick-up ball way too seriously. To me it's about having fun, getting exercise, and not getting injured (a goal resulting from a shattered knee cap last year). Instead these guys pet their egos with ridiculous shots that go in 20% of the time. Then they seem surprised and upset when their team loses. I'm about to give up on finding good basketball games in the city.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good pickup games are competitive. If you want to have fun, put a hoop in your yard.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n
Background

Attempt 1
The crowd: mostly African-American men ages 25-35, lower class

Attempt 2
The crowd: mostly African-American men ages 18-30, middle class

Is this information necessary?

How could you tell their "class"? and again, why is it necessary?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Detailed post contains details.

TheD0n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Is this information necessary? How could you tell their "class"? and again, why is it necessary?
From year of playing unorganized basketball I can generalize the type of game that will be played based on the appearance of the players. The color of peoples' skin affects their appearance.

TheD0n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
good pickup games are competitive. If you want to have fun, put a hoop in your yard.

There is a distinction between good-natured competition and elbow-throwing, incessant-arguing competition. You must partake in the latter.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Is this information necessary?

How could you tell their "class"? and again, why is it necessary?

ha, the post of a guy who was clearly picked last in school.

No, but seriously... are you ******* with us or just trying to sound like a snob?

there is a HUGE difference between white & black / high & low socioeconomic games in the level of physicality, trash talking, athleticism, organization and acceptance.

woodysnipes_468x619.jpg

chenc

Reaction score
Do you set up screens for others? Do you pass the ball? Do you step up and make a play (proving your worth)? Do you introduce yourself to others?
I would confront the guy who throws elbow around (it's called communication); otherwise walk away from that game.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You played inner city pick up ball and expected it to be a tea party?

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to toughen up. Be happy you weren't playing against me, I love delivering the properly deserved elbow.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they were just ******* with you because you were a noob. You gotta spend a little time there before you get the respect you think you deserve. That's just street ball, IME.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you must be a walking vag. toughen up mary.

There is a distinction between good-natured competition and elbow-throwing, incessant-arguing competition. You must partake in the latter.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Closing comments
These guys are taking pick-up ball way too seriously. To me it's about having fun, getting exercise, and not getting injured (a goal resulting from a shattered knee cap last year). Instead these guys pet their egos with ridiculous shots that go in 20% of the time. Then they seem surprised and upset when their team loses. I'm about to give up on finding good basketball games in the city.

This is what most sports have become, sadly. I stopped playing for this reason, unless it's something no contact like volleyball. Even volleyball has become dangerous because people spike the ball every play. How do they expect me to win if I need to take cover?

I watched an episode of the world series and saw they've developed a technique called "checking". It's really just a nicer way of saying that they beat each other with hockey sticks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads