1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Pick-up basketball in the city sucks

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by TheD0n, Jun 19, 2010.

1. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

Background I played in two different pick-up games in college - a game with fellow undergraduates, and one with University staff ages 25-60. Each game had its disadvantages, but it was always good-natured fun. I don't know what it is about Chicago, but people here take it way too seriously. I have played at two different gyms around my neighborhood; each experience sucked. Attempt 1 Location: X-Sport Gym The crowd: mostly African-American men ages 25-35, lower class The problems: -fouls committed on every play (I couldn't even make a pass without getting hacked across the arms) -fouls called even when there was none (I absorbed the impact of a 200-pound black man driving to the basket, and he called a foul on me after missing his shot) -at one point people yelled at each other for literally 5 minutes over a loose-ball call. This was common. -after my team won, one of my teammates said to the other team "Get the fuck off the court!" These guys are friends who play together regularly [​IMG] Attempt 2 Location: DePaul's Ray Meyer Fitness Center The crowd: mostly African-American men ages 18-30, middle class The problems: -a complete lack of passing (except for one sweet alley-oop, which was ironically dunked by a 6'1" white guy) -I was fighting for position against the guy I was guarding before the ball was even passed in, and he fuckin throws an elbow at my mid section. Luckily it hit my forearm, which started to cramp up as the game went on. Closing comments These guys are taking pick-up ball way too seriously. To me it's about having fun, getting exercise, and not getting injured (a goal resulting from a shattered knee cap last year). Instead these guys pet their egos with ridiculous shots that go in 20% of the time. Then they seem surprised and upset when their team loses. I'm about to give up on finding good basketball games in the city.

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

good pickup games are competitive. If you want to have fun, put a hoop in your yard.

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Background

Attempt 1
    The crowd: mostly African-American men ages 25-35, lower class

Attempt 2
    The crowd: mostly African-American men ages 18-30, middle class

Is this information necessary?

How could you tell their "class"? and again, why is it necessary?

4. db_ggmm

db_ggmm Senior member

Detailed post contains details.

5. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

Is this information necessary? How could you tell their "class"? and again, why is it necessary?
    From year of playing unorganized basketball I can generalize the type of game that will be played based on the appearance of the players. The color of peoples' skin affects their appearance.

6. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

good pickup games are competitive. If you want to have fun, put a hoop in your yard.

There is a distinction between good-natured competition and elbow-throwing, incessant-arguing competition. You must partake in the latter.

7. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Is this information necessary?

How could you tell their "class"? and again, why is it necessary?

ha, the post of a guy who was clearly picked last in school.

No, but seriously... are you fucking with us or just trying to sound like a snob?

there is a HUGE difference between white & black / high & low socioeconomic games in the level of physicality, trash talking, athleticism, organization and acceptance.

[​IMG]

8. chenc

chenc Senior member

Do you set up screens for others? Do you pass the ball? Do you step up and make a play (proving your worth)? Do you introduce yourself to others?
    I would confront the guy who throws elbow around (it's called communication); otherwise walk away from that game.

9. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

You played inner city pick up ball and expected it to be a tea party?

10. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

You need to toughen up. Be happy you weren't playing against me, I love delivering the properly deserved elbow.

11. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

[​IMG]

12. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

You're lucky not to get your cap peeled back/wig split.

13. DNW

DNW Senior member

Maybe they were just fucking with you because you were a noob. You gotta spend a little time there before you get the respect you think you deserve. That's just street ball, IME.

14. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

you must be a walking vag. toughen up mary.

There is a distinction between good-natured competition and elbow-throwing, incessant-arguing competition. You must partake in the latter.

15. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

Closing comments
    These guys are taking pick-up ball way too seriously. To me it's about having fun, getting exercise, and not getting injured (a goal resulting from a shattered knee cap last year). Instead these guys pet their egos with ridiculous shots that go in 20% of the time. Then they seem surprised and upset when their team loses. I'm about to give up on finding good basketball games in the city.

This is what most sports have become, sadly. I stopped playing for this reason, unless it's something no contact like volleyball. Even volleyball has become dangerous because people spike the ball every play. How do they expect me to win if I need to take cover?

I watched an episode of the world series and saw they've developed a technique called "checking". It's really just a nicer way of saying that they beat each other with hockey sticks.