• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pick Stitching still in style?

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by instep
Uh, pick stitching isn't done for 'style'. It has a technical reason for its existence.

That's what I thought. Or at least that's what my MTM tailor tells me. I didn't know you could have them done on finished jackets like some sort of a decoration.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Wasn't there a thread a while ago where somebody added pickstitching to his lapels by hand, with pretty good results?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randob300
You mean like the "pick stitching" Banana Republic has on their jackets? Awful stuff. Thankfully, I've never seen anyone embarrass themselves in public by wearing it.
Unfortunately, I've seen someone wearing one of their jackets, and it was quite obvious.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randob300
You mean like the "pick stitching" Banana Republic has on their jackets? Awful stuff. Thankfully, I've never seen anyone embarrass themselves in public by wearing it.

When did mall brands start doing fake pick stitching? Rather unfortunate....Express:

Lapels.jpg

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by instep
Uh, pick stitching isn't done for 'style'. It has a technical reason for its existence.
Maybe in higher-quality garments, but I think what the original poster is commenting on is the fashion of pick stitching right now. It is everywhere on mass market RTW right now.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
When did mall brands start doing fake pick stitching? Rather unfortunate....Express:

I will admit the pick stitching on this suit is pretty over the top.

But it's basically unnoticeable from a distance, and generally you notice it right away then completely forget about it.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
Wasn't there a thread a while ago where somebody added pickstitching to his lapels by hand, with pretty good results?

To me that seems rather gauche and smacks of trying too hard.

DandySF

Reaction score
Machined pick stitching often looks too severe. I prefer the barely-there subtlety of hand done pick stitching.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossrockss
I will admit the pick stitching on this suit is pretty over the top.

But it's basically unnoticeable from a distance, and generally you notice it right away then completely forget about it.

Sorry man, wasn't trying to pick on you
blush.gif

Loved your look, it was very well done.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I'd like to see more of the very fine & tight machine stitching flush with the edge as seen in a lot of vintage American jackets. It's subtler than the pseudo-pickstitching that's getting around a lot at the moment has a certain directness about it.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
Sorry man, wasn't trying to pick on you
blush.gif

Loved your look, it was very well done.

No harsh feelings. I agree it's the worst part of the suit. And I agree with DandySF, the far more subtle hand-done pick stitching looks a lot better.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The funny thing about the machine pick stitching is that it is not the machine's fault. The machines are actually very capable of replicating a subtle look. It is the demands of a certain market that demands the machines be set so that the pick stitching be more pronounced.

woolymammoth

Reaction score
I like subtle pick stitching: 1/16 inch on suits, 1/8 inch on jackets and sometimes 1/4 on navy blazers to distinguish a little more from a suit jacket.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
That's what I thought. Or at least that's what my MTM tailor tells me. I didn't know you could have them done on finished jackets like some sort of a decoration.

Yeah, still waiting for an answer on that. Because if it can be done reasonably priced I have a bunch of jackets I will be bringing in!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads