• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pick Stitching Prada Interview Suit

jb2526

Reaction score
I'm on the job hunt again and am shopping for a new interview suit. Here's the suit I'm looking at: Prada Made In Italy 2 Btns Suit, Top Hand Stitching, NWOUT TAG, Size 38R

I'm not usually apt to buy my suits on eBay, but this one really caught my eye. My question is what you think of the pick stitching on this suit and whether it would be appropriate as an interview suit.

I've read all the threads on pick stitching and it seems like subtlety is key. Does anyone have any familiarity with this suit any or comments about it's use in the business world?

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

jb2526

Reaction score
I probably should have waited for you styleforum gurus to weight in, but I got a really good price. Had a good return policy, so I thought I'd take a chance. It's seems pretty hard to tell what a suit is looks like except in person (how subtle the pick stitching is, etc.). I'd still appreciate any feedback, but don't go too hard on me since I bought it, hahaha!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks dreadful. Not suaitbale for its intended purpose really but you will probably find many won't notice.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most guys don't even show up in a suit, let alone something other than black. Will probably go fine, just don't go for any flashy power colors(shirt, tie).

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put up a picture of yourself it in. Its really hard to see the fit when its on a mannequin thats obviously too large for the jacket

jb2526

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'll do a thread search as I'm sure it's a very popular topic, but does you, GBR especially, have any suggestions on what a good interview suit would be? I've really tried to find some good sources on the internet ... GQ, etc., and they really don't offer any concrete suggestions except for color.

My budget is really around $1000 plus or minus. I figure if I'm going to drop some money on a suit I might as well get one I really like and will be a standard go to suit.

I'll search the forums, but if anyone happens to have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

jb2526

Reaction score
Ok, so there are a ridiculous number of interview suit threads so I'll use those as my guide. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks dreadful. Not suaitbale for its intended purpose really but you will probably find many won't notice.

This is an exaggeration. It's not "dreadul." I'm not a fan of those huge lapels or the roll, but it's not "dreadful."Not to mention, the mannequin's shoulders are too big for the jacket. It looks like a typical otr suit. It's not great, but if it fits well, you'll look fine. The fit is what will probably kill you. Post pictures of yourself wearing it.

As far as your question about pick-stitching goes, I get pick-stitching on every one of my suits. I think that it looks great. As long as the color of the stitching doesn't stand out, you're fine. Most people won't notice.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol - really?

It will be just fine for an interview. pick stitching never unacceptable on a suit.

jb2526

Reaction score
As VinnyMac said, the lapels look very wide. And the top button looks quite high, almost like a 3-button. (see, I've been browsing the forums for the past several hours :). I'm hoping these features won't look as bad on me since, as several mentioned, the mannequin is way too big for the jacket.

As I side note, it looks as if these wide-ish notched lapels are (or were) popular on Gucci, Prada, etc. suits rather than the Brioni, Zegna, etc. suits. Any idea why that is?

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, next step, put on a dress shirt, tie, shoes and the suit, then take a picture (or a few) and post them up. make sure the pics are decent - people need to see the suit and how it looks. hopefully you'll get plenty of feedback so make sure you're seated. (which might come handy if GBR chimes in again anyway)

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, return that suit. Prada hasn't been good since the 90s, same time period that suit is from.

Secondly, I commend you for lurking and reading threads before purchasing. However, please pick better threads, like what people are wearing threads.

Get a sense of what a more modern suit cut looks like from there and look for stuff that's similarly cut.

Last edited:

jb2526

Reaction score
Returned the suit (actually I asked the eBay seller to cancel the transaction since it hadn't shipped and I offered to pay a restocking fee even though there wasn't one required).

Thanks everyone for your input. Now I'll proceed learning about suits and think more carefully about what suit(s) work for me. I have a couple suits I can wear for interviews in a pinch (Boss, Hickey ... from NMLC), but they're a bit old and not fitted quite right for me.

Off to read "what people are wearing" threads, etc. This forum is a great resource. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics