• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

physiological manifestation of pain and Chinese Take out

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I am wondering if any of you have this problem. I know a good local Chinese cuisine joint called "Peking Duck" and I ordered from them often on the telephone for take out. However, it's become almost unbearable to have to wait for a good 15 minutes before pick-up. Why? For some reason, I get an intense paroxysm of hunger while waiting. It becomes so intense at times and it drives me crazy. This is not true with other types of take out: Italian, Greek, Mexican, etc. Is there a reason for this?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
moved

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you are suffering from the mysterious, often debated, but difficult to prove "MSG syndrome?"

Or maybe your body simply cannot tolerate the wait for that crispy duck skin, immersed in a bit of Hoisin sauce, and wrapped in a piece of white bread?

I know what's for dinner tonight
smile.gif

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Hey fellas,

I am wondering if any of you have this problem. I know a good local Chinese cuisine joint called "Peking Duck" and I ordered from them often on the telephone for take out. However, it's become almost unbearable to have to wait for a good 15 minutes before pick-up. Why? For some reason, I get an intense paroxysm of hunger while waiting. It becomes so intense at times and it drives me crazy. This is not true with other types of take out: Italian, Greek, Mexican, etc. Is there a reason for this?

Since I can't think of a good joke involving Pavlovs dog and Chinese food I'll just say maybe you just wanted to use the word paroxysm.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pain comes after eating Chinese take-out food, not before

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The pain comes after eating Chinese take-out food, not before

+1

I haven't eaten chinese in a long time. I've had too many bad experiences. The worst was when I bit in to a piece of "crispy chicken" and because the batter hid the contents, I got a nasty surprise. When I bit in to the piece of chicken, liquified fat came oozing out. I almost vomitted. It was disgusting. I feel nauseous now, just from the memory.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last time I had Chinese (3 or 4 years ago), I was blessed with incessant barfing and red-hot diarreah. Needless to say I avoid that garbage now.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
+1

I haven't eaten chinese in a long time. I've had too many bad experiences. The worst was when I bit in to a piece of "crispy chicken" and because the batter hid the contents, I got a nasty surprise. When I bit in to the piece of chicken, liquified fat came oozing out. I almost vomitted. It was disgusting. I feel nauseous now, just from the memory.

Originally Posted by Connemara
The last time I had Chinese (3 or 4 years ago), I was blessed with incessant barfing and red-hot diarreah. Needless to say I avoid that garbage now.

Wow. What pussies.

Chinese food rocks
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Don't mistake food called "Chinese" that caters to the taste of those in the US and Canada vs. food that is actually representative of food that Chinese people would find familiar.

Both types can be good though IMO. Nothing beats sliced beef in black bean sauce with fried ho fun. That classic of American Chinese take out, General Tso's Chicken, can also rock IMO.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm talking about good Chinese cuisine. This place ain't exactly cheap either. It's run by 2 brothers from Hong Kong and they're been in business for over 20 years.
Originally Posted by underwearer
+1...Good Chinese food.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Yes, I'm talking about good Chinese cuisine. This place ain't exactly cheap either. It's run by 2 brothers from Hong Kong and they're been in business for over 20 years.

Well you did say, "Cuisine Joint" which could have went either way.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Wow. What pussies.

Chinese food rocks
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I generally agree, but only in good restaurants where they don't have pieces of fat in place of the chicken that's supposed to be there. We were specifically talking about take-out. Those are usually cheap and fast places where you have to be careful what you order, at least in montreal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics