• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of JLP Bespoke Fitting

sammy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
+1 not sure why he asked them to amp up the toe like that.

+2. That toebox is way too long. The whole shoe looks out of balance. What a waste.
plain.gif

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the prova, or try on shoe looked better imo as far as the last shape, etc. didn't look nearly as long.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pointy.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the darker leather on the actual brogueing. Very cool and something I may try and do at home someday. That being said the toe is way too elongated for my tastes. A very interesting specimen though and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Gherkins

Reaction score
Well - ok, I don't like the shoe. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it is up to the customer to like the design.

But the pictures remind me of a problem I've been thinking about for a while. Haven't gone bespoke so far, but will inevitably in the not too distant future.

The customer seems to have flat feet (as I have, therefore I am curious) and you can see this even on the finished shoe. Are there means for a bespoke shoemaker to cover this? To make the shoe and foot look like you have normal arches?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are amazing, and what the customer wanted. Antiquing is fantastic. I can see how the styling isn't for everyone on SF, as has been hashed out countless of times.

I like how others are negatively commenting on the fit and the process of obtaining the customer's fit. While a shoemaker himself can say he doesn't see the need for cutting a plastic form open, this is JLP's process, and it seems to work, so what's the big deal? For > $4000, the "theatrics" is a nice touch.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Those are amazing, and what the customer wanted. Antiquing is fantastic. I can see how the styling isn't for everyone on SF, as has been hashed out countless of times.

I like how others are negatively commenting on the fit and the process of obtaining the customer's fit. While a shoemaker himself can say he doesn't see the need for cutting a plastic form open, this is JLP's process, and it seems to work, so what's the big deal? For > $4000, the "theatrics" is a nice touch.

But that try-on shoe ISN'T the plastic try-on that people have been attacking!

BTW, who is your avatar?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

+ a bazillion.

The finished shoes are beautiful.

My observation on the lines drawn on the trial shoes is that they seem to be perpendicular to the wrinkles in the leather. However, I would also think that a clear plastic trial shoe would provide a great deal of information without the whole cutting.

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
+2. That toebox is way too long. The whole shoe looks out of balance. What a waste.
plain.gif

The guy clearly has more money than sense.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO there are pros/cons to both. For example there are things that are patently obvious in leather that plastic will not reflect like wrinkling/creasing...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
IMO there are pros/cons to both. For example there are things that are patently obvious in leather that plastic will not reflect like wrinkling/creasing...

I totally agree with this. Of course, when walking, you'd want something with the closest flexion qualities to the shoe you will actually be getting.

Hmmm, I guess the lines in the wrinkled/crease areas would theoretically be pulled, or tightened, together to allow for a better conformity of the shoe to the foot in these areas.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

BTW, who is your avatar?

Marisa Tomei in her younger years. I still think she is super hot and is on my laminated card of top 5. Although the bags under her eyes are becoming more pronounced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads