1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Photos of JLP Bespoke Fitting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kuro, Apr 2, 2008.

1. sammy

sammy Senior member

+1 not sure why he asked them to amp up the toe like that.

+2. That toebox is way too long. The whole shoe looks out of balance. What a waste. [​IMG]

2. sartort

sartort Senior member

the prova, or try on shoe looked better imo as far as the last shape, etc. didn't look nearly as long.

3. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Pointy.

4. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I like.

5. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Finished shoe is a work of art. Wow. [​IMG]

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I really like the darker leather on the actual brogueing. Very cool and something I may try and do at home someday. That being said the toe is way too elongated for my tastes. A very interesting specimen though and thanks for sharing the pictures.

8. Gherkins

Gherkins Senior member

Well - ok, I don't like the shoe. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it is up to the customer to like the design.

But the pictures remind me of a problem I've been thinking about for a while. Haven't gone bespoke so far, but will inevitably in the not too distant future.

The customer seems to have flat feet (as I have, therefore I am curious) and you can see this even on the finished shoe. Are there means for a bespoke shoemaker to cover this? To make the shoe and foot look like you have normal arches?

9. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Those are amazing, and what the customer wanted. Antiquing is fantastic. I can see how the styling isn't for everyone on SF, as has been hashed out countless of times.

I like how others are negatively commenting on the fit and the process of obtaining the customer's fit. While a shoemaker himself can say he doesn't see the need for cutting a plastic form open, this is JLP's process, and it seems to work, so what's the big deal? For > $4000, the "theatrics" is a nice touch.

10. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Those are amazing, and what the customer wanted. Antiquing is fantastic. I can see how the styling isn't for everyone on SF, as has been hashed out countless of times.

I like how others are negatively commenting on the fit and the process of obtaining the customer's fit. While a shoemaker himself can say he doesn't see the need for cutting a plastic form open, this is JLP's process, and it seems to work, so what's the big deal? For > $4000, the "theatrics" is a nice touch.

But that try-on shoe ISN'T the plastic try-on that people have been attacking!

BTW, who is your avatar?

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

+ a bazillion.

The finished shoes are beautiful.

My observation on the lines drawn on the trial shoes is that they seem to be perpendicular to the wrinkles in the leather. However, I would also think that a clear plastic trial shoe would provide a great deal of information without the whole cutting.

12. jcc123

jcc123 Senior member

+2. That toebox is way too long. The whole shoe looks out of balance. What a waste. [​IMG]

The guy clearly has more money than sense.

13. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

IMO there are pros/cons to both. For example there are things that are patently obvious in leather that plastic will not reflect like wrinkling/creasing...

14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

IMO there are pros/cons to both. For example there are things that are patently obvious in leather that plastic will not reflect like wrinkling/creasing...

I totally agree with this. Of course, when walking, you'd want something with the closest flexion qualities to the shoe you will actually be getting.

Hmmm, I guess the lines in the wrinkled/crease areas would theoretically be pulled, or tightened, together to allow for a better conformity of the shoe to the foot in these areas.

15. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

BTW, who is your avatar?

Marisa Tomei in her younger years. I still think she is super hot and is on my laminated card of top 5. Although the bags under her eyes are becoming more pronounced.