1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Photos of JLP Bespoke Fitting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kuro, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

http://openers.jp/fashion/fashion_sp...lements10.html

The gentlemen being fitted is the CEO of United Arrows; the fitter is Francois Madonini. According to JLP a leather fit shoe is available: (1) generally for an extra charge, or (2) if the customer has problem feet and the plastic fit shoes are not working.

2. robin

robin Senior member

Wow, I had no idea there was a cutting-up-the-shoe part of the process.

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Nice pics - thanks Kuro

4. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I once asked a shoemaker on the value of cutting up the leather fitting shoe. His reply was that its nothing more than mere "theatrics." Wonder who is right?

5. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Wow, I had no idea there was a cutting-up-the-shoe part of the process.

I once asked a shoemaker on the value of cutting up the leather fitting shoe. His reply was that its nothing more than mere "theatrics." Wonder who is right?

Now that I've seen a picture, it seems a waste to do so. With a proper sole and heel those fit shoes look better than some RTW shoes that I've seen...

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wouldn't cutting open the fitting shoe allow the fitter to get a look at how the foot fits inside that would otherwise be impossible?

7. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I was previously of the view that it was likely theatrics. But done in the way shown here, I can see how some useful information could be had by cutting it open.

8. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Wouldn't cutting open the fitting shoe allow the fitter to get a look at how the foot fits inside that would otherwise be impossible?

I've heard that is one of the benefits for the use of clear plastic fitting shoes...

9. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

I was previously of the view that it was likely theatrics. But done in the way shown here, I can see how some useful information could be had by cutting it open.

Someone should put on a Kiton suit and check how it fits the same way. [​IMG]

10. TIEALIGN

TIEALIGN Senior member

It seems to me that it would give the fitter a better look at where exactly your foot is inside the shoe...so I would think its more than simple theatrics. If you liked those pics you might be interested in this video. It shows the complete construction of a shoe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhM8y...eature=related

11. NativeTxn

NativeTxn Well-Known Member

Plus you could ask to keep the fitting shoe after they were done with it, and get two items for the price of one! That fitting shoe in photo 10 would make a great sandal to wear to the beach, or just around town with shorts and a polo.

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I once asked a shoemaker on the value of cutting up the leather fitting shoe. His reply was that its nothing more than mere "theatrics."
    I can understand the cutting in case of a tight fit, as you will see how much extra room that pinkie toe or that bunion needs.

In this particular case, I cannot understand it, as to me, the shoe looks rather on the loose, even sluggish side.

See how the lacing already closes edge to edge,

[​IMG]

the excessive room in front of the toe (at least 1¼" = 3cm, I would guess),

[​IMG]

the heel looks nowhere squashed-in.

[​IMG]

If this was a ready-to-wear shoe, I would suggest going ½ size down.

13. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

yes i wonder this too, if you can con feel the foot placement then seeing it is not going to much help imo

14. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can understand the cutting in case of a tight fit, as you will see how much extra room that pinkie toe or that bunion needs.

In this particular case, I cannot understand it, as to me, the shoe looks rather on the loose, even sluggish side.

See how the lacing already closes edge to edge,

[​IMG]

the excessive room in front of the toe (at least 1¼" = 3cm, I would guess),

[​IMG]

the heel looks nowhere squashed-in.

[​IMG]

If this was a ready-to-wear shoe, I would suggest going ½ size down.

well apart from peanuts i wonder what else you could be smuggling with that much extra space

and the say G&G's shoes are snouty![​IMG]

15. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

16. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

17. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

The finished shoes look very "Italian". It's funny, the first thing I noticed from the photos were actually how far from the sleeve edge his buttons are set: [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Not very JLP styling, that's for sure.

+1 not sure why he asked them to amp up the toe like that.

19. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

It's funny, the first thing I noticed from the photos were actually how far from the sleeve edge his buttons are set:

I think they are five button cuffs with the bottom button undone.

20. robin

robin Senior member