• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photo: Opinion please

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some art to hang up in my office. What do you think of this photo from Ikea? I kind of want something big, this is perfect at 55x78. I think office art should be kind of bland, yet a reflection of your taste. I'm affraid this is too bland. Too cold. Too sterile. Recommend anything else?
43554_PE139330_S4.jpg

I like this picture as well, but I don't think it sends the right message:
41629_PE136130_S4.jpg

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
its a little too much like one of those pics that says INSPIRATION to me.

my office is decorated with photos from events that we have done, products launched etc, blown up to about A3. Looks good and is a nice reminder of some of our successes - plus its nice when clients visit and see pics of their boss making speeches/their products being launched etc etc

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heh, yes, TEAMWORK and INSPIRATION are looks I'm definitely trying to avoid. I want something big though, and as a young attorney, I don't have any reminders of success yet...I'd like to stick with art.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i completely disagree that office art should be bland.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the bland-ness or (what's the opposite of that?) depends on your workplace and how public your office is. I'm a college professor so I hang up whatever I want basically. I have some original art work that all focuses on clothing/style and a collection of framed Joy Division and New Order postcards. They are far from offensive, but I imagine that hanging some of these in an office in a private corp might not send an approved message. [That's based on my complete lack of experience in the corporate world and the general belief that it is much more conservative than academia.] Oh, also who comes into your office? Just co-workers or clients also?

I like the first pic, but the second one looks very moody. Like 'watch out or you'll hit the rocks!"

bob

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rocks in the picture on the top are in some kind of weird valentine formation, which makes it bad for the office. The workplace is a battlefield, and love has no place there.

I would get one of those parodies of the 'inspiration' type posters,

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My front wall is glass, so my entire office is visible to all that walk by, including partners, co-workers, clients, etc. I guess bland was a bad choice of words...I think it can be expressive and esoteric, but above all, appropriate. Kind of like the way I dress.

I'm not in love with either of those pictures, but I like the size and the price ($200). I'm hoping for some recommendations. Where else can I find something big like these? I'm at a total loss.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A travel poster might be good. Some interesting place.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i completely disagree that office art should be bland.

Talking of art, what is your avatar? Looks like something my wife would love to see more of.

aarghh

Reaction score
IMHO - don't put up anything from IKEA. Not that there's anything wrong with those; but its too mass market - you cannot express individuality through them.

I'd say look at photoeye.com, and similar photo resources. I particularly like some of Cig Harvey's work for office art.

Another thing you may want to look into is the color space in your office. I'd go with reds and yellows in most office surroundings - some energy to fight the corpo-drab all around.

Edited for spelling

Buster

Reaction score
I am not sure if that's your taste, but I find prints (and maps) to be quite nice and distinguished (unless everybody has them). I have never bought these on ebay, but I have a store nearby where I go once in a while to browse through. (I like copperplates, but these are usaully quite small) This is just an example on ebay for a few: http://cgi.ebay.com/SWITZERLAND-1896...QQcmdZViewItem

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I want to second the recommendation that Buster made to check out maps. I'm a big fan of geography, and I think few things look nicer than an old, framed map (of your own hometown, homestate, etc).

I'm also somewhat surprised no one has mentioned the photography of Ansel Adams. He captured some amazing shots of the American wilderness. Of course, his original photography is quite a bit pricey ($10K-35K). But, the matted prints and posters are much more affordable. If you'd like to take a look at his work, I've pasted the link below...

http://www.anseladams.com/

So, these would be my personal options: antique map or Ansel Adams print.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say its time to do some research and start collecting. In this day and age there are enough talented artists and even students doing great work that it is senseless to buy posters.

Check photography magazines.
Small art publications.
Galleries and artists online.

You'll have the quality of the original, possible appreciation in price and it won't transmit "cheap" on the wall.

I know galleries and artists, so message me if you want options.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I love well-designed concert posters. You can find some great ones at Amoeba records.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads