• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photo essay on Britain's last oak bark tannery

WingTips

Reaction score
hi Charlie if you will potentially offer a baker's butt belt in natural then id be in with a SS buckle and tounge

PS got email from Dawn today re my guards remake so thanks for getting that sorted and thanks to the workshop for getting it bumped up - ill have it in time for hols!

cheers
Ravi

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Charlie,

Does Baker's tanning method bring out the character in natural bridle better compared with Sedgwicks' method?

Yes, definitely, in my option. The dyes seem to be a lot more aniline so the character of the leather is more apparent and the rest of the tanning process I'm sure also contributes. For those looking for a solid, consistent colour throughout a strap or butt thats a bad thing, for those who enjoy seeing the variations in the leather of course its a good thing.

Do you mean the Russet though? If so Sedgwick don't make russet bridle, thats only a Bakers product.

Charlie

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, definitely, in my option. The dyes seem to be a lot more aniline so the character of the leather is more apparent and the rest of the tanning process I'm sure also contributes. For those looking for a solid, consistent colour throughout a strap or butt thats a bad thing, for those who enjoy seeing the variations in the leather of course its a good thing.

Do you mean the Russet though? If so Sedgwick don't make russet bridle, thats only a Bakers product.

Charlie

Yes, I meant Baker's Russet. I think it will age very well and look better with age.

Kauai

Reaction score
Hi Charlie,

I'll take a Baker's Natural if the project gets off the ground.

Thanks

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hi Charlie,

I'll take a Baker's Natural if the project gets off the ground.

Thanks

Thanks Kauai, I'll put you on the list and let you know if we get enough people. We are getting there slowly now!

Charlie

Wally

Reaction score
Count me in for a natural too if it happens.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi All,

As promised photos as we progress. The Bakers delivery had just delivered both the Australian Nut and London Tan

For those of you who either know Sedgwicks leather through us or anyone else

The Australian Nut is redder and variegated in colour and changes colour when its flexed, not dissimilar to a pull up leather. It shows more scars and marks than I would expect in a Sedgwick piece but this compliments the colour. Its a similar substance to Sedgwicks but noticeably more flexible. Its more heavily greased as it arrives. The colour is very pleasing to my eye. In the image below Sedgwicks is on the left.

The London Tan is a more warm colour than the Sedgwicks and shows more variation but not to quite the same degree as the Aus Nut. Whilst the Aus Nut from Bakers really isn't the same colour as Sedgwicks Aus Nut the London Tan from both makers is quite similar. On balance I have to say I prefer the colour of the Bakers I think, its a little more orange and a little less yellow and is extremely nice. In common with the Aus Nut its about the same weight as the Sedgwicks but more flexible. The cut strap in the photo below is Sedgwicks. The photo doesn't do justice to either colour but London Tan is a swine to photograph at the best of times...

Better photos will follow in due course but I thought people would be interested in quick first impressions. I think people will be pleased when they see their belts first hand. The London Tan isn't fully subscribed and I think people are missing out because its one of the nicest coloured bits of leather Ive seen for a long time.

I have a sample of the Russet here as well and will be in touch with those who have expressed an interest in due course

Charlie

Kauai

Reaction score

Very nice photos, thanks for sharing :)
Love that little bit of oil bloom.

+1

Also, I was quite excited to see that the Sedwick and Baker's Australian Nut colors are different, as I have belts coming in each leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads