1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Photo essay on Britain's last oak bark tannery

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ManofKent, Aug 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

4 people like this.
  2. NORE

NORE Senior member

Thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you.

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Quite interesting. Does anyone know offhand any company that specifically uses Baker's leathers? Just curious / interested in what most of their leathers are used for / what quality level they produce.

4. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

They make nice leather, I have a little here. My experience is that it tends to be heavier than it's spec, good quality and the colour is quite variable across an individual piece. They largely make for the saddlery market but do a lot of shoe and decorative leather as well.

We've been threatening to do a limited edition 1butt (about 16 belts) run of belts in their Australian Nutt if people were interested? They would make very nice casual belts and the natural colour variation across the strap would show of the oak bark tanning well.

Charlie

5. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Just wanted to share my experience with Equus. In short, top notch service and product. Buy with confidence.

6. connor09

connor09 Senior member

I must say that is a fantastic photo essay! Thank you for sharing.

7. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Excellent link. Made my Thursday morning a bit more bearable...!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Cheers for this, MoK.

9. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Many Thanks MoK

10. Rich0116

Rich0116 Senior member

I'd buy one of those belts in a heartbeat...sounds like it'd be a terribly unique piece.

11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I think Baker makes about the best insole shoulder on the planet. If it was missed in the photo essay the hides are in the tanning liquors for a year. Only one other tannery in the world, AFAIK, comes even close. And no one else gets anywhere near the quality.

It's expensive and time consuming to bring into the US, what with the VAT and shipping and customs brokerage fees, etc.. But every so often several of us form an ad hoc buyer's consortium and bring in a roll or two of shoulders, bends and welting. I think I still have most of two double shoulders and two whole bends left.

12. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Very much so. The leather and buckles would be made by craftsmen from start to finish in Devon and Walsall respectively and the end results would be turned in to a belt in Northumberland so 100% UK made with the most high tech element being lost wax casting in Walsall (which was invented 1500 years ago or so) . If theres a bit of interest here I'll work out prices and how many we'd need to sell for it to be viable but we'd want to do a small run of something like 16-32 belts ish so each belt would be one of a very small number and would be certified as such. I've wanted to do a limited edition run with their leather for a long time, very nice if we can make it happen!

Charlie

13. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I'd buy a Barker oak bark tanned belt from you.

14. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Senior member

I'd certainly go for one of those.

15. uniesse

uniesse Senior member

16. arced

arced Senior member

definitely interested, but would you ship worldwide?

17. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

i would have liked to see the photos in color. tanning looks like real tough work

18. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

This sounds good to me. I'd be interested.

If you aren't fully subscribed it wouldn't hurt to take it to SW&D side. There's a lot of interest (and knowledge) in this kind of leather over there.

19. UberDyologzz

UberDyologzz Well-Known Member

I'm in as well for those oak-tanned belts.

20. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Turns out Baker's was mentioned in the thread I was reading over in SW&D. The topic was the Kicking Mule Workshop belts that are beautiful and analogous to what Charlie is proposing, and a long conversation started between Jay_D and Mikecch, both of who are pretty knowledgeable for people not in the trade. The link is here. The conversation over there had to do with Japanese vs American leathers, and reached back to English leathers.

Mikecch gave a link to a video of the Baker tannery that I enjoyed: Baker Tannery

I loved the "left behind" comment in the Baker slideshow that ManOfKent linked to. Lucky for us some companies got left behind in the technological arms race and still managed to make a go of it.