• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photo Enthusiasts: Looking for large-aperture, quality point-and-shoot. Suggestions?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for an f1.4 or f1.8 digital camera. I'm tired of logging my DSLR around, but I refuse to settle for a regular point and shoot. I often shoot in low light conditions, don't care for depth of field and prefer no flash. Right now my DSLR has an f1.4 USM 50mm lens, which I'm very happy with. I want a smaller version of that. Does anyone have any suggestions? Price limit: up to a thousand.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 hottest recent enthusiast/"prosumer" cameras are: sony NEX-7, fuji X-pro1, fuji x100, olympus OM-D

olympus has m4/3 sensor and mount...smaller of the lot (which are APS-C). a bit over a 1000 with kit lens + 500 for a nice prime
fuji x-pro1: functionally not that much better than x100 except it has has interchangeable lenses... some very nice ones. substantial cost relative to ur limit
sony nex-7: decent lens selection. decent body.
fuji x100: my pick of the litter. fixed 35mm (equivalent) f2.0 lens. very back-to-basics. best handling/controls. and also the best on-camera flash in the business should you choose to use it. has *some* problems with low light focusing. killer ISO performance

the olympus has the best low-light focusing of the group, but the worse ISO performance... there's your trade-off
nex-7 has focus peaking feature, which is really nice.
but still, i would go x100. price is 1200

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smaller options are the Canon s100 (2.0), Samsung TL500/EX1 (1.8), Panasonic LX3 (2.0) (LX5 is bigger, I think) or the Ricoh GR Digital III or IV (1.9).

I can't think of any P&S with a 1.4 lens.

I (just) got a GRDIV and can't tell you much about it yet. My GX200(2.5) which I loved broke and I needed a relatively cheap (second hand) replacement. I do miss a zoom lens a bit.

wmb

Reaction score
I have a 'old' Lumix GF1 with 20mm lens that is great for point and shoot days.

aizan

Reaction score
how big is too big? a micro 4/3 body with the 20/1.7 or panaleica 25/1.4 asph is good. then there's the sony nex-7 with 24/1.8 zeiss (kinda big).

in low light, the af in the fuji x100 and x-pro1 still isn't up to par. very annoying. x10 isn't half bad. it'll comfortably get you down to ev5 for still subjects. they just fixed the orb issue, too.

the nikon 1 system might do the trick someday. not yet, though.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The S100 takes very good flashless photos in lower light conditions (or at least the s90 and s95 do...I have not personally handled the s100).

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, all excellent suggestions. I will look into all of that. By smaller I meant something I could put in my gf's purse or carry it in my jacket pocket. Also, as much as I love quality photos, one DSLR is enough and I'll probably go for something without an external lens. Thank you, again!

schrag

Reaction score
Check out the Olympus XZ-1. 1.8-2.5 28-110mm (equiv) lens. At the long end, you can focus close and get some decent out of focus background for headshots, etc. Beautiful olympus colour, and accessory port for external VF, mic, etc.

Last edited:

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would put neither the x100 or OMD or nex7 in a sportjacket pocket... (the flattest is x100 and it would barely fit). casual jacket? sure.

the most "pocketable" decent camera would be the S90/95/100. LX5 is a tad larger.

great camera, and gives technically good photos (iso, sharpness, wb, lack of aberration, etc) , but no "character" that you would get from higher end enthusiast cameras or slr systems

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how big is too big? a micro 4/3 body with the 20/1.7 or panaleica 25/1.4 asph is good. then there's the sony nex-7 with 24/1.8 zeiss (kinda big).
in low light, the af in the fuji x100 and x-pro1 still isn't up to par. very annoying. x10 isn't half bad. it'll comfortably get you down to ev5 for still subjects. they just fixed the orb issue, too.
the nikon 1 system might do the trick someday. not yet, though.

+1 on the X10 - I've found it to be very good at taking low-light photos. It's smaller than the X100, too.

david3558

Reaction score
I'd stay away from the X100, I had one and I didn't like it very much. What about the Ricoh GRD series?

David

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd stay away from the X100, I had one and I didn't like it very much. What about the Ricoh GRD series?
David

what didnt you like about it?

it is definitely flawed... and commands patience (gdamn menus! damn focusing hunt!) ... but its like a temperamental woman...when its on its on and the picture is delightful

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we are very happy with our Lumix DMC-LX5. great in low light for a P&S.

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it is definitely flawed... and commands patience (gdamn menus! damn focusing hunt!) ... but its like a temperamental woman...when its on its on and the picture is delightful

Haha. Great review.

Thank you, everyone! So far, I'm looking at:

Olympus XZ-1
Canon S95/S100
Panasonic LX3/LX5

Any thoughts on the 3(5) finalists would be most welcome.

bwong337

Reaction score
I have an LX-5 but is moving to a fuji x100. The LX-5 works well as a point and shoot but low ISO is definitely not there, if you're into that sort of thing. I got some great shots with it though.

I'm looking to sell mine, so if you're interested, we can talk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads