• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phone system recommendations for a small business?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a scalable phone system for a small business? Preferably something that would start out with 2-3 lines and maybe 4 phones. Cordless would be nice, but not necessary - we're currently using Panasonic cordless phones, which suck. Speaker volume is too low, there is often interference, and more than two people can't be on a line at the same time.

Something like this, I guess:

http://www.amazon.com/AT-945-4-Line-...3760151&sr=1-3

kirbyf2

Reaction score
Depends on what do you want. A VOIP solution is easily possible, with open source Asterisk as your main PBX server, then you can run IP phones and set it up indivudally so that each phone has a different number/specific number or such.

You need to evaluate what you are looking for in terms of cost and efficency. Sometimes just paying the phone company for three lines may be the easiest solution. Or hell, an investment of buying five Magic Jacks' may be the solution.

http://www.magicjack.com/6/index.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_(PBX)

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^that's what we have, is good imo for up to 40 users

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Looks like I have some reading to do. Any ballpark, price-wise, to setting up a small VOIP (asterisk) system? edit - any experience with hosted Asterisk systems? Example: https://www.aretta.com/pro/

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a business that size, I would not invest in a phone system. I would use something like grasshopper.com.

Asterisk is nice, and i've used it for systems fielding thousands of calls per day, but frankly, who's gonna take care of it in a business that size? What do you do when your internet/phones go down? As a small business you're not gonna have the best internet connection either, and by that I mean service with a 99.99% uptime. You'll have regular business dsl/cable with a ****** 24 or 48hrs policy, which could mean your phones would be down several times per year. Phones are something others expect to just work.

I've use grasshopper before with good results. You will still need some actual phones, but it will provide a menu system, music on hold, and other stuff. You could use it in conjunction with a voip or regular landlines, but it provides the front-end, voicemail, menu system, and is quite inexpensive. If you ever get big enough, you can deploy your own systems in-house and migrate off of it quite painlessly.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Thanks, grasshopper looks like an excellent option!

All of your concerns are valid. I think regular landlines are going to be the best choice for the time being.

Would you be able to recommend a standard landline phone that has a good speakerphone? Considering ordering these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16876129012

alicesmith

Reaction score
I am using Hosted PBX system from Nexcom Digital. They offer 1-8xx number. I am charged at $12.99/month for service but there is no extra charge for any feature. You can get a simultaneous ringing feature or any feature you need and they do not charge extra.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads