1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Phineas Cole... too out there?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tim_horton, May 1, 2010.

1. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

I tried on some Phineas Cole suits for the first time today... I liked them but the cut is a little more "extreme" then what I'm used to. In this suit too fashion forward for something like, say, a wedding?

The other suit I'm looking at is the Oxxford Type A, which is more sedate.

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Totally unrealted, but are you by chance Canadian?

[​IMG]

3. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

No, but I went to school in Montreal. Roll up the rim to win. [​IMG]

4. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

In this suit too fashion forward for something like, say, a wedding?

Not likely.
    A picture or description (color, pattern etc.) of said suit and some details on the wedding would allow for a more detailed response though.

5. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

I don't like Phineas Cole; it reminds me of Black Label (or is it the other way around?).

6. Francisco

Francisco Senior member

I think their fit is more modern slim cut and I like it.

7. rlx

rlx Senior member

It is a very slim fit, narrow lapels and a shorter jacket. If that's what you are looking for, go for it. I tried one on. It was a beautiful suit, but a little to fashion-forward for me.

8. UserNameToronto

UserNameToronto Senior member

Totally unrealted, but are you by chance Canadian?

[​IMG]

Tim Horton's rules rural areas and suburbs only. In downtown Toronto or Vancouver, Tim's a bum.

9. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

I haven't seen it in person, but I love their look book.
    If i could afford it, I'd be all over it.

10. intent

intent Senior member

Tim Horton's rules rural areas and suburbs only. In downtown Toronto or Vancouver, Tim's a bum.
    True. When I grew up in Burnaby (Vancouver), Starbucks was all the rage. Tim Hortons is where you went for Timbits. When I went to school in NB, Tim Hortons stores were everywhere. Starbucks was "too expensive".

11. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

Not likely. A picture or description (color, pattern etc.) of said suit and some details on the wedding would allow for a more detailed response though.
    It's a standard dark navy, two button, notch lapel, side vent suit. It'll be my first "nice" suit since finishing residency and fellowship, will be worn for events (like weddings) rather than at work. I've looked at a few suits, and the ones I liked the most are the Phineas Cole, the Oxxford Type A, and the Zegna Roma (I wanted to try on the Milano but I can't find a store, including the Zegna store in Manhattan, that has one in stock.) I also tried a RLBL but didn't like it too much my shoulders are a bit broad and I felt a bit self-conscious in it. Yeah, I know these are all very different suits... I guess I'm easy to please. I will note that the fabric of the Oxford and Zegna just "felt" better.
    Good grief, this is blasphemy.

12. chatty

chatty Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have an Oxxford Type A and really like it. Have gotten a lot of compliments from others on how well it fits.

Oxxford is having a sample sale right now too so you may be able to get something for up to 70% off.

13. comrade

comrade Senior member

I don't like Phineas Cole; it reminds me of Black Label (or is it the other way around?).

Paul Stuart has violated the Covenant.

14. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

You should also look at the "Paul" fit suit at Paul Stuart. Just tell the person who is helping you that you want to try on the "Paul" model and they'll know exactly what you're talking about. It's their less severely styled, but still as slim, cut that the Phineas cut was derived from. It's also much cheaper than the Phineas line.

15. FE-X

FE-X Active Member

Best fitting suits i have, go for it.

16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I consider Jean Paul Gaultier and John Galliano as "too out there" (or any term for REALLY eccentric).

I actually like the cut because it hangs well on my slim frame. The fabric was nice and it appeared well made but for the retail price (and basic colors), I held off. I guess coming from the more conservative houses it can be considered "cutting edge."

17. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Really? At my office in downtown Edmonton we have a second cup, starbucks, and tim hortons attached to the mall. In the morning there's never more than 4-5 people in line at starbucks or second cup, but like 30-40 people in line at tim hortons, it's like a boxing day sale lineup at all times.

18. intent

intent Senior member

Really? At my office in downtown Edmonton we have a second cup, starbucks, and tim hortons attached to the mall. In the morning there's never more than 4-5 people in line at starbucks or second cup, but like 30-40 people in line at tim hortons, it's like a boxing day sale lineup at all times.

Edmonton's a small city [​IMG]

19. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

That's more like it! Starbuck's is a bit of a rip and the coffee's is too strong.

Anyhoo, thinking it over I probably will pass on the Phineas. Nice suit but it just didn't spark my interest like the Oxxford Type A or the Zegna Roma - especially in terms of how the fabric feels. I'll probably have to flip a coin between these two, especially if I can get the Type A at a discount through the NY sale right now. I keep putting off my purchase, but like a spine surgeon once said to me, "analysis leads to paralysis."

20. UserNameToronto

UserNameToronto Senior member

That's more like it! Starbuck's is a bit of a rip and the coffee's is too strong.
    No such thing as coffee that is too strong. Tim Hortons coffee is excessively weak. I think it's a class thing, and a rural/urban thing. If you think American cars are great and drive a Chevy Malibu, you're a Tim Hortons kind of guy. These types are rare in major urban centres. Starbucks is Douglas Coupland; Tim Hortons is Red Green. EDIT - getting back on track, I agree that passing on Phineas is a good bet.