• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phineas Cole question

green624

Reaction score
I'm considering a phineas.

Does anyone know which grade of wool is used for the low end of the pricing range ($1380)? And how does this pricing point compare for the quality?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks,

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have 5 Phineas suits and 2 sport coats and the cloth quality is quite good. They use mostly English woolens and a smattering of Italian, too. Most are supers 120-130s but on the heftier side and not like some of the flimsier stuff you see.

These suits fit me better than any other RTW garment I've tried including Kiton, Brioni, Isaia etc.

I'm a huge fran and see myself acquiring several more in the near future.

andyw

Reaction score
I have three PC suits, two in what they call silky powder finish wool (higher price) and the third in what looks like super 100's (lower price). The fabric quality versus price is indiscernable, I can't tell by the fabric why two cost more than the third, except PS telling me that silky powder finish wool is very special and therefore costs more. There is one common shared attribute, the incredible fit........like aportnoy, my favorites.

Therefore, I think quality is at a consistent high level, and pricing is high to reflect the brand position PS has defined for themselves. Nevertheless, I will go back for more because of the fit.

EuropeanInterloper Redux

Reaction score
I have two suits and a few pairs of slacks from them; I like the quality very much but their in store tailor did a terrible job (NYC store). I would very honestly recommend having someone else do any adjustments (as I did).

EI

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
their suits fit way tight on me... maybe I have broad shoulders and a more athletic/husky build, but still, way tight.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
their suits fit way tight on me... maybe I have broad shoulders and a more athletic/husky build, but still, way tight.

I have jackets from the first season of PC, made by Samuelsohn. An example:

294656340_bYSZT-XL.jpg

I have fairly broad shoulders and tight waist, and an athletic build but not...husky.

I have read, though, that the silhouette has been changed after the first year, but I do not have direct knowledge of that.

- B

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bill, that jacket looks like it'd fit me. my biceps are about 17" around and i have an athletic chest from lifting... their newer stuff is tight in the upper arms and chest proportional to the shoulders.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
bill, that jacket looks like it'd fit me. my biceps are about 17" around and i have an athletic chest from lifting... their newer stuff is tight in the upper arms and chest proportional to the shoulders.

I'm not surprised...not a big fan of this year's look book for Phineas Cole...looked a bit anemic compared to the first season, which was already had a spare silhouette for jackets.

I wonder why they changed? I thought that they had a good thing going with something trim but made by Sammy.

- B

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm not surprised...not a big fan of this year's look book for Phineas Cole...looked a bit anemic compared to the first season, which was already had a spare silhouette for jackets.

I wonder why they changed? I thought that they had a good thing going with something trim but made by Sammy.

- B

I have no clue what's going on with suiting, but I usually fit a 42R OTR (36W), and I haven't gained any weight or muscle, and like nothing OTR is fitting anymore. Strange how cuts have changed so drastically in the past year or so to just "anemic." I recently went to Paul Stuart in NYC, and like nothing fit and they were telling me I'm bigger than their OTR 44. At that point, I left the store - there is no way in hell i'd ever be a 46R (which I did try on and was huge - even the salesman agreed).

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would anyone care to comment on how PC compares to RL Black Label? Based on the look book for last fall and this fall, that is the closest RTW comparison I can make with the nipped waist and slim silhouette. The shoulders don't seem quite as prominent (roped) but they don't seem to be natural or soft either.

I think the PC line is v. good looking based on pics I've seen and I fondly remember a suit from last Fall's (2007) initial line that was a birdseye light grey single button peak lapel. That thing was a thing of beauty.

green624

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I really like the look and will probably buy.

Forgive my ignorance, its seems the low end PC is a thicker s100, but doesn't that give off a cheap look for a "higher-end" line"?

I was under the impression that most $1000 range suits were at least s110 or s120.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The lowest priced suits are $1400 or so and there are only 1 or 2 models at that price. Most are priced at $1884 and $2240.

The solid navy in the $1400 range is a great suit for the $$$.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by green624
Thanks for the feedback. I really like the look and will probably buy.

Forgive my ignorance, its seems the low end PC is a thicker s100, but doesn't that give off a cheap look for a "higher-end" line"?

I was under the impression that most $1000 range suits were at least s110 or s120.

Super numbers are not an indication of quality.

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
Would anyone care to comment on how PC compares to RL Black Label? Based on the look book for last fall and this fall, that is the closest RTW comparison I can make with the nipped waist and slim silhouette. The shoulders don't seem quite as prominent (roped) but they don't seem to be natural or soft either.

I think the PC line is v. good looking based on pics I've seen and I fondly remember a suit from last Fall's (2007) initial line that was a birdseye light grey single button peak lapel. That thing was a thing of beauty.

IMHO no contest, the handiwork on my PC suits are superior to the one RLBL suit I own. The fit of the jackets are close but the PC just hugs my shape better off the rack. The PC trousers are sized to hug the waist and hips, the legs are slighly tapered and the overall silhouette is trim and lean. The RLBL trousers are wider in the waist and hips and required tailoring, and the legs a little baggy and shapeless..

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
Would anyone care to comment on how PC compares to RL Black Label?

Sort of. I have a casual cotton jacket from Phineas that I purchased from B&S. It has wider lapels, more natural shoulders, and its waist is not as narrow as my RLBL suits. This results in a softer look. However, I am guessing their cotton jackets are more casually cut than their suits, in which case this comparison is not especially helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads