• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phil's 1908

bklein

Reaction score
I'm looking for an extremely fitted suit like a Armani or Zegna, but do not want to spend that kind of money. I've heard Phil's 1908 in NYC has this look at rock bottom prices, however I've never been in the store. Does anyone have any experience with this store? Can I achieve my goal at Phil's if I make the trip?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've walked by it. Nice windows. Never stepped in yet.

Anyone else?

BigHandMan

Reaction score
I've lurking around SF for a few months. This post prompted me to join and reply.

Since March, I've made a few purchases @ Phil's: a couple of sportcoats and 2 suits on sale back in the Spring, and, more recently, a few of the newer suits he just got in from Italy, where he gets everything made.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "extremely fitted", but his line fits me well and I prefer slimmer-shaped cuts (I'm 6 feet tall & 175 lbs).

Some of his newer stuff features slanted pockets which, according to other posts I've seen on SF, make you look slimmer still. I recently purchased a few new suits from his new line -- 2 high-stance 2-buttons with notch lapels (added a ticket pocket on each) and 2 high-stance 2-buttons with peak lapels and ticket pockets. All of his suits are half-canvassed and most are 110s wool.

This much I can say -- I think his stuff is great-looking, fits well, is reasonably priced and of good quality. It may not be on par with many of the brand names you'll see tossed aorund on this forum, but I'm just beginning my sartorial quest and can't afford a lot of the higher end stuff at the moment. For the time being, sis stuff suits my needs perfectly and, I think, measures up against anything else I've owned to date.

Also... Phil himself is both knowledgeable and helpful, not to mention an interesting guy when you talk to him and hear the story of the store's development, etc. Most interesting is the fact that every time I've been there of late, I feel like more and more people are coming into the store... so word seems to be getting out around NYC and beyond.

I hope this helps. At the least, check him out while you're visiting NYC and see what you think for yourself. I think you'll be pleased. Good luck.

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Southeast corner of 59th and 3rd (989 3rd Ave). Caddy-corner to Bloomingdales, home to overpriced clothing galore...

Prices hover between $400-600 for suits @ retail. Suits on sale were about 1/3 off when I bought them, as were the sportjackets.

Also... when I was in there last week, most shirts and ties were 50% off. I think he's clearing space for the new stuff he's expecting to arrive soon. The shirt quality is ok -- there are certainly better quality shirts out there. But, they have a nice, slim fit and the 15.5/39 is dead-perfect on me, so I picked up a few to pair with the new suits I purchased. Nice colors to match what he has in suits and jackets.

Many of his ties are quite nice, too, IMHO.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[duplicate post]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads