• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Philly Driving Roads

kalice

Reaction score
I've just moved to Philadelphia a few months ago, and is starting to warm up to the city. Are there any good roads for a nice Sunday drive? Low traffic, a couple twists and turns, smooth pavement?

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I-95!!!
No srsly, I would say just venture into the 'burbs. In ChesCo (where I reside) there are lots of roads that are great to just drive on. I would say just venture to some small towns.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rt 1 is nice at certain points, particularly after the media bypass

dl

Pundit

Reaction score
If you can get out early, try the Kelly Drive to Lincoln Drive from CC to Mt Airy. Driving that back and forth always makes my day!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Frankford Avenue down through Kennsington!
wow.gif

kalice

Reaction score
oh awesome! I can't wait to get out of the terrible center city roads and actually enjoy the weather before the jack frost sets in

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
More for motorcycling, but the roads around New Hope PA are nice.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kalice
I've just moved to Philadelphia a few months ago, and is starting to warm up to the city. Are there any good roads for a nice Sunday drive? Low traffic, a couple twists and turns, smooth pavement?

If you really want to drive, head over to Carlisle then take 74 north. Turn around somewhere around State College and take 45 to 235 to 333 and then 74 back down.

Did that recently, incredible drive, was at >4000rpm 90% of the time past Carlisle.

nostrings

Reaction score
I found the drive through New Hope (North of Phila.) just beautiful this time of year. You get a chance to see some of the fall colors and, for me, it was always worth the drive. October in Philadelphia is great. I'm envious.

best.

kalice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nostrings
You get a chance to see some of the fall colors and, for me, it was always worth the drive. October in Philadelphia is great.
best.

The fall foliage here is absolutely gorgeous. I haven't been to New England to compare, but it certainly is picture perfect. I might get a chance to get out next week, will definitely post pics if i do. =D

XdryMartini

Reaction score
Head out of the city and go to New Hope or anywhere north. In the city, along the rivers, boathouse row and Strawberry Mansion.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pundit
If you can get out early, try the Kelly Drive to Lincoln Drive from CC to Mt Airy. Driving that back and forth always makes my day!
True. Very enjoyable drive. Kelly Drive was written about by Franzen in The Corrections; the street was named after Grace Kelly's father. Also, if you are a film buff, Lincoln Drive is another character in Brian DePalma's Blow Out (with Travolta). Also of note, Teddy Pendergrass was paralyzed on Lincoln Drive---I think his passenger, a transvestite, was fine (thankfully).
Originally Posted by nostrings
I found the drive through New Hope (North of Phila.) just beautiful this time of year. You get a chance to see some of the fall colors and, for me, it was always worth the drive. October in Philadelphia is great. I'm envious. best.
Another great suggestion. If I can venture to be more specific, take River Drive from all the way up.
Originally Posted by XdryMartini
Head out of the city and go to New Hope or anywhere north. In the city, along the rivers, boathouse row and Strawberry Mansion.
Also, MLK drive, the road that runs parallel to Kelly, is a beautiful, if less dramatic, drive; it is closed through the summer for joggers, but you can take it any time of day now. Plus, at night, you can pull over and make your van rock rhythmically as people are so fond of doing.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
If you really want to drive, head over to Carlisle then take 74 north. Turn around somewhere around State College and take 45 to 235 to 333 and then 74 back down.

Did that recently, incredible drive, was at >4000rpm 90% of the time past Carlisle.

+1. The roads up by State College are amazing. I'm going up next week.

Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
Lancaster Ave

202 north

+1. I like 202, I enjoy it more while people are speeding though.
By Lancaster Ave, you do mean 472, right?
And on a semi-related note, I like Lancaster County in general.

Originally Posted by XdryMartini
Isn't Strawberry Mansion ghetto?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads