• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Philadelphia used to be the Capital

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize how many Capitals there've been in this country. I recently applied to a job in York, Pa and was doing some research on the city when I came across this article. Apparently, our Capital has been quite a few places; Philly, New York, York...

Link

They had good reason to move from Philly. Apparently, they were crooks then also!!
laugh.gif

Philadelphia remained the seat of government until 1783, when Congress fled yet again, this time intimidated not by a British army but by unruly soldiers demanding back pay.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud... Imagine the power regular people had back then if they could force the Capital to move.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Just thinking out loud... Imagine the power regular people had back then if they could force the Capital to move.

Yeah...but, you aren't looking at this in relative terms. The US was not the US of today; there were no long-range missiles, nuclear submarines or machine guns. The "˜country' was in dire-straits, financially, militarily, and diplomatically. Thus, it could not hold out as well as the US of today.

Jon.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a number of humorous stories about state capitals moving around and the machinations early legislators undertook to facilitate or foil relocations. A bill was actually passed in the Minnesota legislature back shortly after statehood (1850s IIRC) to move the capital from St. Paul to St. Peter. The bill — which needed only the governor's signature to become law — was stolen from the legislative chambers by a quite eccentric senator. When the deadline for the governor affixing his signature passed, the senator and the now-dead paperwork re-appeared, meaning St. Paul kept the capital. The senator was found out to have spent the entire several days in "hiding" in bars and flophouses within blocks of the legislative chambers.
smile.gif
Omaha and Lincoln have fought over the Nebraska capital almost since statehood.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm from the city that left the Liberty Bell cracked /
Where the Constitution's release party was held at.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Yeah…but, you aren’t looking at this in relative terms. The US was not the US of today; there were no long-range missiles, nuclear submarines or machine guns. The ‘country’ was in dire-straits, financially, militarily, and diplomatically. Thus, it could not hold out as well as the US of today.

Jon.

I was going to joke around about driving down to the Capital this weekend with my musket / gun powder to get some of the money I think they owe me but I guess you can't really joke about that stuff these days.
peepwall[1].gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was going to joke around about driving down to the Capital this weekend with my musket / gun powder to get some of the money I think they owe me but I guess you can't really joke about that stuff these days.
peepwall[1].gif

Plus if you are going to do it, you really should wait till the 5th of November (what? Well, we used to be a British colony, and they wouldn't give us representation either).

Jon.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
There are a number of humorous stories about state capitals moving around and the machinations early legislators undertook to facilitate or foil relocations. A bill was actually passed in the Minnesota legislature back shortly after statehood (1850s IIRC) to move the capital from St. Paul to St. Peter. The bill "” which needed only the governor's signature to become law "” was stolen from the legislative chambers by a quite eccentric senator. When the deadline for the governor affixing his signature passed, the senator and the now-dead paperwork re-appeared, meaning St. Paul kept the capital. The senator was found out to have spent the entire several days in "hiding" in bars and flophouses within blocks of the legislative chambers.
smile.gif

Omaha and Lincoln have fought over the Nebraska capital almost since statehood.

So, which city won?

(I know, it's "Nebraska City," isn't it?)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Does that make David Bresch our President? Breschident?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize how many Capitals there've been in this country. I recently applied to a job in York, Pa and was doing some research on the city when I came across this article. Apparently, our Capital has been quite a few places; Philly, New York, York...

Annapolis. It's the only place where the original capital building is still standing (or something like that). Maybe it's the only state capital that was also the nation's capital.

bob

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Annapolis. It's the only place where the original capital building is still standing (or something like that). Maybe it's the only state capital that was also the nation's capital.

bob

How 'bout Montgomery, Alabama?

...oh, you meant that nation.
laugh.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
They had good reason to move from Philly. Apparently, they were crooks then also!!
laugh.gif

Yeah, thank the mercies they moved it to the bastion of integrity and lawfulness that is the current capital!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
How 'bout Montgomery, Alabama?
...oh, you meant that nation.
laugh.gif

My wife knows this stuff 'cause she grew up here. I think it is the only building that was used as the US capital that is also currently used as the state house.

Here we go: "The Maryland State House is the oldest state capitol still in continuous legislative use." That's the best I can do. Sheesh.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads