• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pherrows?

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the local wisdom on Pherrow's jeans (could not find by searching). The local denim store has some in a 1966 Levi's repro style (which I insist on), model 466SW, I guess and was I thinking about getting some. The raw denim looks fine, but if someone had some opinion on their overall quality, durability, etc. it would be interesting to hear. I am going to Tokyo next month, should I wait to get the 1966 Sugarcanes there.

Any other companies make a 1966 repro style?

mikecch

Reaction score
I've got the 421, one of the best value-for-money jeans next to the Sugar Cane 1947.
A fairly big brand in Japan, just relatively unknown in the West.

Check the Pherrow's thread on SuFu.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Great brand, unfortunately they've gotten lazy with their denim and are using some sub-standard stuff these last two or three years.
I love their shirts and sweaters and have hung out with the president a few times, they've been around forever and their knowledge trumps many of their competitors', just not sure why they haven't done better things in the last couple of years.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
Great brand, unfortunately they've gotten lazy with their denim and are using some sub-standard stuff these last two or three years. I love their shirts and sweaters and have hung out with the president a few times, they've been around forever and their knowledge trumps many of their competitors', just not sure why they haven't done better things in the last couple of years.
Kiya, can you elaborate on how their denim is 'substandard'? I have the 421, and the denim doesn't seem bad at all, especially considering their 20,000 yen price point. I understand they changed fabrics when their denim products moved from the Stormy Blue label to the mainline Pherrow's, and they have released an el cheapo 9,000 yen model as well, but I think their higher end 521 and 421 are pretty hard to fault.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
Kiya, can you elaborate on how their denim is 'substandard'?

I have the 421, and the denim doesn't seem bad at all, especially considering their 20,000 yen price point.

I understand they changed fabrics when their denim products moved from the Stormy Blue label to the mainline Pherrow's, and they have released an el cheapo 9,000 yen model as well, but I think their higher end 521 and 421 are pretty hard to fault.

I don't think it's bad necessarily, i just think for a non straight-repro brand their denim can be a bit more interesting. They're selling jeans at the same price point as the other Japanese brands but using a far cheaper denim from the same mills.

mikecch

Reaction score
^ Well, I can't say for the other Pherrow's models (only ever handled the old SB denim, the 421 and the 521), but my 421's denim is fairly interesting (and I'm all for interesting, slubby textures) - lots of mini-slubbing, uneven in both the weft and warp, and has a nice texture to it. Sure, it's no natural indigo Nihon Menpu fabric, but it ain't bad for the price I paid (around $220), certainly no less interesting than the basic The Flat Head denims (which are closer to $280 after the recent price hike). Here're some objective input:
pb270002.jpg
pb040007.jpg
Nothing too fancy, but much more than adequate for a pair of jeans around $200. How much cheaper is Pherrow's fabrics compared to similarly priced brands like Warehouse, etc? Can you provide actual figures?

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AldenPyle
I was wondering what the local wisdom on Pherrow's jeans (could not find by searching). The local denim store has some in a 1966 Levi's repro style (which I insist on), model 466SW, I guess and was I thinking about getting some. The raw denim looks fine, but if someone had some opinion on their overall quality, durability, etc. it would be interesting to hear. I am going to Tokyo next month, should I wait to get the 1966 Sugarcanes there.

Any other companies make a 1966 repro style?

Most companies make a 66 repro.
For accuracy, I would go with Sugar Cane.
The Pherrow's 466 is a fair choice though, but has been slightly modified in terms of the details and cut...at only 15,000 yen it's good value.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
I don't think it's bad necessarily, i just think for a non straight-repro brand their denim can be a bit more interesting. They're selling jeans at the same price point as the other Japanese brands but using a far cheaper denim from the same mills.

Originally Posted by mikecch
Most companies make a 66 repro.
For accuracy, I would go with Sugar Cane.
The Pherrow's 466 is a fair choice though, but has been slightly modified in terms of the details and cut...at only 15,000 yen it's good value.

Thanks for the input. Very informative. I think I will wait and see if I can get the Sugar Cane at Hinoya.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads