• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pharrell Williams' disappointing trip to the White House

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Still not as bad as Adrien Brody's outfit for the Armani party at Cannes this year. Its all a matter of perspective.

wenn2854668.jpg

og.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knowledge is King
I wouldn't ignore the possibility that the fit of the clothes is calculated -- seems like he's far too cognizant of styling to accidentally wear poorly fitting clothes. Also, given the RLPL pumps, the tuxedo could be RLPL and I can't imagine they'd let him walk out looking like that (or possibly Turnbull & Asser since he's done collaborative shirts with them before).

He's defintiely looked better before, albeit in more casual clothes:

pharrell.jpg

Pharrell+Williams.jpg

pharrell-picture-1.jpg

pharrell-williams.jpg

pharrell_williams_2499647.jpg

ny11608111311.widec.jpg

pharrellmenofstyle4qg5.jpg

71664fd4e5c32d2c_p1.xxlarge.jpg

mocanew1.jpg

The fit of the jacket looks fine, its the pants and shirt that kill the look. Infact I feel the pants would look better tapered, but simply making them longer would be a huge improvement.

He must be reading too much SF.

The pink shirt doesnt make sense, its a business shirt. Replace that with a formal shirt, fix the pants and even keep the slippers and this is an excellent look.

JMP

Reaction score
I agree, the custom/monogram article he did for GQ years ago was AWESOME, but this was not executed very well, primarily due to the fit. He looks like he may have borrowed the clothes from the spring/summer clip on RLPL website....

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Upon seeing the photo ... I somehow felt myself suffering the embarrasment he should have felt. His outfit -- and that is what it appears to be to me -- is nothing short of ridiculous.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Upon seeing the photo ... I somehow felt myself suffering the embarrasment he should have felt. His outfit -- and that is what it appears to be to me -- is nothing short of ridiculous.

Nothing sort of ridiculous is the understatement of the year...

If you try too hard being trendy or a trend setter ,you finish looking like an idiot..

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Just noticed this as well.

Perhaps it is another 'quirky' 'rustic' example from the Mitteleuropa Austro-Hungarian school of humour.

At least, I hope it is.
confused.gif

Did I notice some sexual tension between SterlingGilette/Fritzl and you guys?
laugh.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
spanking-211.jpg

(find the paprika)

Nothing wrong with rustic shoes...Especially when associated with a bit of spanking...

I would have preferred a lovely lady with leather boots instead of that bearded redneck.

DaneC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
Thoughts?
dsc00987.jpg

screen-shot-2010-05-06-at-9-13-24-am.png

This is just all so very wrong...
bounce2.gif
... on so many levels... and in so many ways!

I'm all about men wearing pink;
worship.gif
no problem (1/3 of my shirts are pink or purple).

I covet a pair of Stubbs & Wooton bespoke slippers with outrageously loud grosgrain trim,
inlove.gif
(black velvet, English-style loafer, and of course with my own coat of arms/family crest).

No problem seeing a little "creative"
devil.gif
sprinkled in with the "black-tie"
bigstar[1].gif
now and then.

But, please, FTLOG, not THAT!
bounce2.gif
Not the penultimately ridiculous variant and exaggerated expression of each and every element all at once. NO, Please... No... no.....

President Obama looks great, of course
smile.gif
, because he understands that it's the man that makes the clothes.

Notice: Emoticons are expressly exempted from the afore-mentioned admonitions against overuse.
facepalm.gif

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
It's ironic b/c when Jay first started 'dressing well' he would generally look bad to mediocre imo.
He has grown into his fits (kind of like Lebron has started to).

Whereas, Pharrell usually looks good.
I just think this was ill conceived. Particularly for the White House.

Well said. Very true. Jay used to rock the RLPL that they sold him at RL - now he clearly shops for his look with a variety of designers based on his personal style.

It looks like Pharrell went to see 'Jay's guy' at RL and they quickly did him up in a RL fantasy outfit... Andre 3000 style. I get where they are going, but they had no time to tighten up the fit - probably was delivered to his hotel based on measurements or something...

jamaican

Reaction score
I often see the guy and think "oh, I'll take that idea, or another idea and do it slightly differently"... I think he has a lot of style. Nevertheless despite said "lot of style", this outfit doesn't work. I am not sure that "he is trying to be Jay Z" though. Mr Zee pics shown were just Mr Zee dressed "classically". I think with a dinner suit, and many business type suits, nothing beats the classic. Pharrell could have just done a classic cut with patent shoes, all bespoke and well fitting; all classic: he would have killed it. Sometimes, in fact very often, less is more. But Mr P went for the pink on the shoes and shirt... didn't work this time P. J

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads