• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ph.D. or PhD on business card

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are all fine.

However, imhe, no academic puts "Ph.D" on their card. It's assumed that you have one, especially if "Professor" is anywhere on the card. A Ph.D. is sort of like having a ticket for the show. No one pins it to their chest. Same goes for research labs like JPL, NASA/Ames, etc... The only reason that you would put Ph.D. is if you work in the bureaucracy or in the corporate world, where not everyone has a Ph.D. The only letters I generally see on academic and researchers cards are things like fellowships in the Academy of Sciences or a similar honor.

MrRogers

Reaction score
I dunno, I have to disagree with that. I've been in academia (psych) for the better part of my life and whose with doc degrees have Psy.D. or Ph.D. on their card. It is assumed that if one is called a "psychologist" then they have a doctorate as MS level practitioners default to "therapist". Perhaps this is different in other fields such as research as the above poster mentioned

IMHO if you get through a doctoral program you deserve to put it on there

MrR

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
I dunno, I have to disagree with that. I've been in academia (psych) for the better part of my life and whose with doc degrees have Psy.D. or Ph.D. on their card. It is assumed that if one is called a "psychologist" then they have a doctorate as MS level practitioners default to "therapist". Perhaps this is different in other fields such as research as the above poster mentioned

MrR

I think it's a bit different in Psychology because you can have one of two possible dictoral degrees and there is some ambiguity.

In a field like Chemistry, Biology, etc... it's implied.
I mean, if you have a card that says something like

John Doe
Professor of Biology

then it's pretty obvious you have a Ph.D.

My $0.02

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117

then it's pretty obvious you have a Ph.D.

Not to stupid people.
laugh.gif

Jon.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Not to stupid people.
laugh.gif

Jon.

Knowing whether you have a Ph.D. or not is the last thing stupid people need to worry about. It's not like they'll be interested in your dissertation topic.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not all professors have a ph.d.

it is a common complaint at many colleges that undergrad classes, especially lower division ones, are being taught by professors with only a master's degree.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
not all professors have a ph.d.

it is a common complaint at many colleges that undergrad classes, especially lower division ones, are being taught by professors with only a master's degree.

Their actual title is likely "lecturer" or something of the sort, then.

It's assumed that faculty, meaning people that have a permanent position at a university, especially one that would put the title "Professor of Biology" which means that they are a full professor, not an associate or assistant professor, has at least one doctorate.

This is of course not true in certain fields where it is rare to get a doctorate.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
I can't wait to put Ph.D. all over everything I own. All of my shirts will be monogrammed at the cuff with PHD.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers

MrR

That's ridiculous. In fact, I'd be so incredibly embarassed to know anyone who puts "PhD" on any plain sight document...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What do the German academics put on their cards?
A Professor of engineering would put something like: Prof. Dr. –Ing hc Helmut Michael Deutsche helmut.deutsche@universitätinstadt.de Telefon: (+49) 5000 - 500 – 500 Fax: (+49) 5000 - 500 – 501 Universität in Stadt Fakultät für Technik Deutschestraße 17 D-50005 Stadt Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics