1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11 : Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a Valstar jacket and a Master-Piece wallet courtesy of NoManWalksAlone Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Petronius ties - like Marinella?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JohnnyCrockett, May 21, 2011.

1. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior Member

Was in Barney's and saw ties made by a firm called Petronius. Looked gorgeous, very much like Marinella or Cappelli. In fact, from the design of the labels, I wonder if Drakes makes these for Petronius as they make the RTW marinellas.

Anyone know about Petronius?

They were $155, better than $195 for the Marinellas down the street at Bergdorf's

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Try a search Johnny, I think these have come up before and Manton enjoys them.

3. Getzione

Getzione Senior Member

Was in Barney's and saw ties made by a firm called Petronius. Looked gorgeous, very much like Marinella or Cappelli. In fact, from the design of the labels, I wonder if Drakes makes these for Petronius as they make the RTW marinellas.

Anyone know about Petronius?

They were $155, better than $195 for the Marinellas down the street at Bergdorf's

I can not comment on the quality, as I've never owned one. But word on the street is that they are up there with the other big names. Im also quite sure they run their own production, and dont relabel Drakes.

4. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Distinguished Member

They're definitely not made by Drakes. I like Petronius ties quite a bit.

5. alliswell

alliswell Distinguished Member

Jonathan at fourinhand.com can tell you more about the brand, and - I think - beat that price too.

6. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

Jonathan at fourinhand.com can tell you more about the brand, and - I think - beat that price too.
    I actually have one from Jonathan and another from an SF member. It's a great tie.

7. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

For printed silks, I think Marinella is much better, based on the small sample I have had.

8. Artking3

Artking3 Senior Member

In fact, from the design of the labels, I wonder if Drakes makes these for Petronius as they make the RTW marinellas.

Marinella ties are made by Drakes?

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Distinguished Member

In fact, from the design of the labels, I wonder if Drakes makes these for Petronius as they make the RTW marinellas.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Having said that, though, Drake's and Marinella often use very similar and even the same printed silks, sourced from the same mills.

10. alliswell

No. They're handmade in Naples.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have one Petronius and I like it a lot. I would get more. Price is excellent, and yes, I recommend FIH, cheaper than Barney's.

12. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

No. They're handmade in Naples.

Marinella only makes the bespoke ties to the best of my knowledge. I have seen his better ties being made by one supplier and there is another for the least expensive ready to wear.

13. BrooklynWeGoHard

BrooklynWeGoHard Senior Member

Marinella only makes the bespoke ties to the best of my knowledge. I have seen his better ties being made by one supplier and there is another for the least expensive ready to wear.

this is correct william

14. alliswell

Your point is well taken. I can't say whether they're made by Marinella - only in Naples [​IMG]

15. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Stylish Dinosaur