Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Petition to keep Abercrombie & Fitch Off Of Savile Row.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AndyMG, Mar 22, 2012.

1. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

Someone nailed it when they said it's about maintaining tradition. A & F could move anywhere they wanted, and somehow I doubt that their customers give a damn about whether they are going to Savile Row or any other street.

I don't think A & F customers can really be classed as trash, after all if you're shopping there you're not going to be on the poverty line. A & F customers simply have no class or taste.

It's a shame that another company can't be found to take on the premises. It doesn't necessarily even need to be a bespoke tailor, just something more appropriate than A & F.

2. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

They could move where they want but they could also move to an address with some cachet to it.

Somewhere like say, Savile Row?

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

tradition is fun, but business is business. If SR is so concerned, have them petition parliament for some sort of historical status.

Saying A&F customers have no class or taste is just asinine. They may not be your style, but there are far worse things out there.

in the end its all about the bucks

4. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

The address certainly does have appeal, I just doubt that it would mean anything to their customer base. Why not Regent Street, Oxford Street or Carnaby Street? Surely they would mean more to the average shopper.

5. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

why do you hate the free market?

6. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

I don't hate the free market at all. I just think that what we have in Savile Row is something very special and world renowned at what it does. The problem we have in the UK is that we are too ready to do away with our heritage, and this is a prime example of that.

7. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

you and your pals should lease the space

8. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

This makes me very sad. Seeing Ben Sherman and Evisu there is one thing (I think Evisu has closed down) but A&F.... They will make an H&M, Topman style megastore blasting the spice girls and as someone else mentioned horrible cologne.

If I could figure out how to sign that petition, I would!!!

9. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I will admit that us yank's have more of an industrial, commercially driven mindset. We have no problem moving tradition aside.

Europe in general has always been about upholding traditions and monuments. That is what makes it such a fantastic place.

The problem would be the contradiction of the high rent on the Row. If they wanted the tailors to stay, they would have simply kept the rent reasonable for them. Solidifying their presence there; but they simply haven't... :confused:

10. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

Scroll down to the bottom, add your name and email address, enter the capcha code and a comment and submit. It wouldn't work for me until I added a comment!

11. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I would be willing to contribute upward of seven dollars towards an official styleforvm clubhouse on Saville Row.

12. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    I can imagine that rent on the row is almost extortionate, however, do you (or anyone) have any actual facts and figures?

Quote:
    Try it now, thanks.

13. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

Don't you reckon this presents an opportunity for the traditional Savile Row retailers to introduce themselves to a new a clientele?

Whilst the punters are queued for AF I'd be in the street and marketing my finer wares to them.

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

This petition is retarded. Like gladhands said, why would any of you expect a landlord to turn down a reliable tenant like A&F.

If the Savile Row firms are concerned about A&F, they should pool their money and match A&F's offer.

15. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

That sounds like a good idea, but would they ever do it? Tailors on the Row don't seem to be the best at advertising their great products. They seem to mainly rely on word of mouth and multiple genreations of the same family using them.