• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Petition to keep Abercrombie & Fitch Off Of Savile Row.

AndyMG

Reaction score
It appears that the hideous Abercrombie and Fitch is intent on polluting the greatest suitmaking street in the world. Not content with their store just around the corner, they seem intent on selling their vile childrens wear on the row itself.

Someone has started a petition to oppose this. If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on the link below and add your signature.

http://www.petition.co.uk/save-savile-row-from-abercrombie-fitch/

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They've polluted other storied streets, they'll eventually get their way there, too. It's a trend now to mix the good and bad together.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there some bespoke house clamboring to move into that space? Probably not. The demand for Saville Row-level (in both quality and price) custom clothing isn't as high as it once was. The demand for London real estate is higher than it's ever been. What business want that space AND can afford the rents? Are you ready? It's Abercrombie and Fitch. Sorry.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there some bespoke house clamboring to move into that space? Probably not. The demand for Saville Row-level (in both quality and price) custom clothing isn't as high as it once was. The demand for London real estate is higher than it's ever been. What business want that space AND can afford the rents? Are you ready? It's Abercrombie and Fitch. Sorry.

agree.

If savile row doesn't need the space, whats the point in it sitting empty just so a&f can't move in.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It appears that the hideous Abercrombie and Fitch is intent on polluting the greatest suitmaking street in the world. Not content with their store just around the corner, they seem intent on selling their vile childrens wear on the row itself.

Someone has started a petition to oppose this. If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on the link below and add your signature.

http://www.petition.co.uk/save-savile-row-from-abercrombie-fitch/

Who cares really? If you don't like the store, wherever it is, don't walk through the door.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh Christ...Man of Kent is going to go nutts when he hears this...

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who cares really? If you don't like the store, wherever it is, don't walk through the door.

It is not walking through the Door that is the issue - It's the peasant Euro trash Tourists, blocking the sidewalk, snapping pics of the half naked models that grace the entrance.

It has de-valued the area IMHO. I feel sorry for Cucinelli, JM Weston and to an extent, the Patio diners at Cecconi. I was there last Saturday trying to enjoy a quiet Negroni and the whole block is just way too cramped now.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is not walking through the Door that is the issue - It's the peasant Euro trash Tourists, blocking the sidewalk, snapping pics of the half naked models that grace the entrance.
It has de-valued the area IMHO. I feel sorry for Cucinelli, JM Weston and to an extent, the Patio diners at Cecconi. I was there last Saturday trying to enjoy a quiet Negroni and the whole block is just way too cramped now.

And you know they are peasant Euro trash how? There was once a guy named Sam Walton who walked around in ratty clothes and drove a POS vehicle. From all appearances just another peasant redneck right? Foot traffic equals money to any and all businesses. Basing socio or economic means by appearance alone is foolish if not unwise to say the least.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A while ago there was a BBC documentary about this. All 5 parts are available on youtube:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen the documentary as well from a while back, a big fan actually.

It seems to me that the British are well aware of the need to maintain the tradition on Savile Row, and have some system in place to regulate the occupants. In the end, i suppose euro trash business is still business for the Row. As long as the tailors are still around by the time i get a chance to swing by, i'll be happy :D

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main problem will have to be holding your nose whenever you get within a kilometer of the place. I can't believe how much of that shitty cologne they pump out into the air and how they get away with it. I keep waiting for some asthmatic to die and get them sued.

Now if they would just launch a vintage A&F store with recreations from their olden days, that would be worth me hopping on a plane for.

Gerry

Reaction score

I passed by the A&F store in London last Dec 2011 just after Christmas and there was a queue outside A&F and while I thought the ppl queueing were stark raving mad they were far from peasant Euro trash Tourists, most were very well dressed ppl and if I was to judge them by their appearence pretty well off.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well if savile row can't afford the rents because they don't have the business, then whose really de-valuing the area. A really nice street that has no foot traffic and has a bunch of empty stores isn't good for anyone.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.