• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Petey and The Beast

Oldguy

Reaction score

Gustin Heavweight Denim

I had missed out on the two "Beastly" offerings by Gustin, one for 26 ounces (which I think was only 14 minutes until funded), and one for 23 ounces (I wasn't certain, at the time, of my "Gustin" size) and deeply regretted it. Since then, I have landed a pair of The Twenty Six in straight fit, and I understand Gustin is going to offer another 23 ounce (or something similar) soon.

The Twenty Six has landed and here are my thoughts on it, which may be similar to what they will offer in 23 ounces.

I have now 8 pair Gustins in my arsenal, and I do not wear jeans to work regularly (once in a while), so 8 pair may seem excessive, but as others have found: they are addicting.

I have some variety, including The Natural for summer, and The Heavyweight (18 ounces) for Fall and Winter. I live in Maine, so the Heavy American (16.25 ounce) and The Heavyweight make sense for the climate. The Zimbabwe is for "dressier" times, and the Okayama Standard is for "rough play", as it began very stiff and has worked its way down to what I envision "rough jeans" to be: strong but comfortable.

The Heavyweight, as many of you know, comes with little starch, is quite soft, and wind resistant; a great blessing for New England winters.

The Beast (26 ounce or 23 ounce) is something unique unto itself. I will focus on a non-technical review of the Gustin Twenty Six.

Others have raved over its toughness, and it is, in deed, tough as can be.

Why have something this rugged?

I can understand those who ride motorcycles, as they are loathe to leave their skin on the pavement, but I am not a rider.

The ruggedness is a challenge for us.

It is a lot of fun.

I am not young, have children, and even a grandchild. I work at two jobs, and hope to start my own business, for a third. I found myself, after the first Gustin purchase, posting on this forum (and the Gustin forum), as if I was a denim junkie. Kinda silly, but so very much fun.

My wife and I have Gustins and are having our own "fade competition" since neither of us have jobs where we can wear jeans other than casual Fridays.

It is fun.

The Twenty Six is not just 26 ounces of denim, it is also Gustin quality, as we have seen on the other pairs (she now has just backed the Heavy American, and wears a summer weight Gustin, and is awaiting the replacement 16 ounce that will be softer than the original backed, and she has become a Gustin fan, with all the brand loyalty that comes with it).

The quality is seen in the stitching, buttons, and overall feel and appearance.

Here is what is missing from other reviews thus far. As we have all focused on the weight and stitching quality, we have forgotten something important:

The Twenty Six is beautiful.

It is a deep blue and in just one soaking, has shown some beautifully deep blue markings from the indigo run off. At the creases, with this cold water soaking, markings now appear.

The deep ink blue indigo was appealing to the eye, and now, after a few hours on the line, I am putting it on damp to further help mold it to the unique size that will be me.

It ain't easy putting this one damp, but it was not easy putting in on dry, either.

It is, however, a lot of fun.

What will be the result?

I hope to, by the time the first snow flurries hit in late October, have "best friend' jeans.

Rugged, unique in size (how many others are wearing this near me?) and unique in the indigo appearance, even from one wearing and one soaking, makes them mine.

They will soften ("tame the beast, man, tame the beast!) and they will be my warm comfort this winter. They will last for many years and will make for interesting conversational pieces among family, friends and business acquaintances.

Denim strong enough to withstand New England winter winds and look this good will provoke lots of interest.

Each fold will produce a fade unique to me, and carry memories for me, from contemplating the jeans I wished I had in the 70's, down to my grandson on my lap, with new stories.

God please forbid me to gain weight to no longer fit into my 'best friend jeans' that will carry me through interesting stories that await me.

As Bob Dylan once said, "It is a perfect time for anything to happen."

The Gustin extreme heavy jeans are a challenge, a talk piece, and a chance to own something of special quality, within reasonable financial reach due to a strange and new business model made possible by the internet; something that did not exist when I was a boy.

I am grateful to Gustin for the quality of the product, the affordability, and for the fun I am having as I struggled to put on the damp jeans to begin the battle to slay the beast.

Only my wife calls me "Petey" though, some of you recall the dog on "The Little Rascals" with the circle around his eye. Its a nickname that brought fists up, even more than Mets fans versus Yankee fans, Jets fans versus Giant fans, Ranger fans versus Islander fans, and Oreo fans versus Hydrox fans. As a boy, Mets fans sat on one side of the bus, while Yankee fans sat on the other. The twain did not meet. Should some timid soul declare his love for all sides, he was quickly beset upon by all, cast out to utter darkness, loved by none. No, a choice had to be made. These were the days of Levis, who owned the market on denim, at least on Long Guyland, unless Sears raised its breath for battle.

Petey and the Beast are both having fun today, and will for the next few months. By late October, I hope the beast will be in submission; soft, pliable, and kind to my aching bones.

We'll see.

I have enjoyed reading of those who are already logging many hours in their heavy Gustin denim.

Hey, I'm glad for my fellow Americans who have jobs producing these jeans, that they are proud of, providing for their families, telling the county and those watching us, that Americans still produce good quality product in life.

Whether its the upcoming 23 ounce denim, or the Heavyweight at 18 ounce, I hope you get a chance to own a pair of the heavy denim Gustin jeans. They're something special to own, and to tame.

Have fun in the battle. Tomorrow's bad news headlines will still be there.
Peter Lynch said that no one, on his death bed, says, "I wish I spent more time in the office."

Have some fun in this silly hobby. Tomorrow's woes will take care of themselves.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads