• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peter Lee wants close to $630 for a HALF-CANVASSED suit.... am I getting ripped off?

dtk_King

Reaction score
So I'm in Hong Kong for a week (6 days left as of writing) and I decided to have a suit or two made. Went to see peter Lee yesterday (picked up a nice leather briefcase from Zee's just around the corner), followed by a brief visit to Chan's. I ultimately decided to go with Peter Lee, and was given the price of $4900 HKD (or $630 USD) for a three-piece super 150s cashmere wool. When I asked about canvassing, he told me he needed ANOTHER $230 for a full-canvassing, since the previous price was for a half-canvassed suit.

Does $860 for a fully-canvassed 3-piece suit from Peter Lee sound about right; I tried to dig up some information on the forum about the price difference for the two constructions but didn't find a comprehensive answer.

Would anyone be able to tell me if Peter Lee's pulling wool over my eyes here cause I'm a foreigner?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Peter Lee, but could it be because of the fabric?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Peter's prices are going up quickly. I think that what he's asking of you is pretty much his going rate for new customers.

dtk_King

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Peter's prices are going up quickly. I think that what he's asking of you is pretty much his going rate for new customers.

I suspected that might have been the case as someone else on the forum had pointed out his prices were going up back in February of this year. Hopefully someone with recent experience can clarify that that is the case.

As a side note, I've never owned a half-canvassed suit before so I am not quite sure if I want to go this route. I am concerned with how the suit will conform to my body shape, and whether or not being a composition of two distinct construction methods would impair its ability to move freely. Would someone be able to correct or confirm that assumption?

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
This price seems high, I have not had anything made by Peter for at least 10 months so not sure if prices have risen that much.

For a full canvassed 2 piece i would expect to pay around HK$ 4,500 to HK$ 5,000 in a standard house cloth (nothing special)

That fabric does not sound good to me, what kind of 150's cashmere are you going to get at that price. It might be his Patak Philippe cloth from China. Best to just stick to a decent super 100's worstead from a mill in UK.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I posted a couple of months ago, PL now charges HKD 4600 for a full canvas CMT. Not sure how quickly his prices have been rising, but I am quite happy with what he has been making for me. At the same time, Chan has been rising as well, apparently (see other thread).

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is the CMT price for 2-piece or 3 piece? Where do you get your cloth? Any idea where to get Harrison Moonbeam sport jacket cloth in Hong Kong.

Cheers

Originally Posted by RogerC
As I posted a couple of months ago, PL now charges HKD 4600 for a full canvas CMT. Not sure how quickly his prices have been rising, but I am quite happy with what he has been making for me. At the same time, Chan has been rising as well, apparently (see other thread).

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be complete:

TAILORING FOR JACKET ( CANVASSED ) HK$ 3,500=
Hand stitching. HK$ 200=
TAILORING FOR VEST HK$ 1,200=

TAILORING FOR PANTS ( CANVASSED ) HS HK$ 1,100=

No idea where to get Moonbeam. Western Market probably will not help you. I know there are some wholesalers, but could you not get it direct from Harrisons?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
China prices are going way up. Was there about two months ago (Shanghai) and prices were pretty ridiculous. And I'm Chinese can speak with no accent, have local friends/family etc.

For the prices they charge you can get stuff at Barney's on sale for just a little more.

dbc

Reaction score
I asked Peter last month- his fully canvassed pieces started at 5500 HKD.

I suspect the higher price is due to your choice of fabric.

dtk_King

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
That fabric does not sound good to me, what kind of 150's cashmere are you going to get at that price. It might be his Patak Philippe cloth from China. Best to just stick to a decent super 100's worstead from a mill in UK.

I have an eye for extravagance; the things that catch my attention always end up costing me a pretty penny (without ever being excessively gaudy). The cloth I picked is something that I noticed almost right away from his selection of fabrics; off the top of my head I cannot tell you where it is from but I am quite happy with it so I plan on sticking with it.

Pics of my damage from HK to come!

Classic Car

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cloth from Western Market are usually old, low quality and over price. I sometimes buy material from there for odd trousers and bring to a cheap tailor.

Can you explain what is a canvassed tailor pants?

Peter Lee's price are inconsistance. His price depend on his mood and how much he can charge you. He has no standard way of calculation.

Afterall, he maybe one of the few remaining shops in the middle price range to offer canvassed suit or jackets in Hong Kong area.

Originally Posted by RogerC
To be complete:

TAILORING FOR JACKET ( CANVASSED ) HK$ 3,500=
Hand stitching. HK$ 200=
TAILORING FOR VEST HK$ 1,200=

TAILORING FOR PANTS ( CANVASSED ) HS HK$ 1,100=

No idea where to get Moonbeam. Western Market probably will not help you. I know there are some wholesalers, but could you not get it direct from Harrisons?

sartorial_marxist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Classic Car
Cloth from Western Market are usually old, low quality and over price. I sometimes buy material from there for odd trousers and bring to a cheap tailor.

Can you explain what is a canvassed tailor pants?

Peter Lee's price are inconsistance. His price depend on his mood and how much he can charge you. He has no standard way of calculation.

Afterall, he maybe one of the few remaining shops in the middle price range to offer canvassed suit or jackets in Hong Kong area.

IIRC, he has this list of fixed prices in his shop. Although I don't deny that his prices are just rising and rising

Gwarg

Reaction score
Most similar tailors are now raising their prices
frown.gif

old

Reaction score
Not all that surprised,
i went to them the other they and they were asking $440
for a full canvassed jacket CMT.
i went somewhere else instead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics