1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lee - latest pricing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dwarfer, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Active Member

Just got an email from Peter lee with his latest quote:

"The basic VBC full canvassed (2pcs.) suit from HK$7,800 and (3pcs.)suit from
    HK$9,500."

Thats almost $1k USD for the 2pcs.

Considering his basic suits used to start from $700 USD about a year or so ago (or so I am told)...isn't this quite a massive jump?

I understand fabric price has increased quite a bit last year...but...this is close to 30-40% jump

Jus wondering whether I am missing something..

2. mrclam

mrclam Senior member

that sounds like it has indeed jumped quite a bit. I suspect a lot of the traffic driven to a few select tailors by the internet has contributed to the increase in price. At that price level I don't know if I would consider that good value.

3. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Not sure whether you are comparing apples to apples - same fabric, same construction, etc. - but fabrics and other tailors pricing have indeed gone up quite a bit recently, sometimes by as much as 20%+.

4. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Also: property boom in HK may increase overhead. Now I like Peter, he's done a number of great suits and jackets for me, but I'm not convinced he's the only tailor in Hong Kong doing that level of quality at that price point. It's just that no-one yet has talked about them on SF.

5. Eason

Eason Senior member

Whoa, basic suits for $700? I paid less than that for mine (not canvassed).

6. GBear

GBear Senior member

Not too sure about suits but the full canvas sportcoats cost just about double that of half canvassed. Those prices look like a big increase from what it was when I was there around Christmas and New Years though...

7. mrclam

mrclam Senior member

agreed

8. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Active Member

Yes - I've been doing some research and asking quotes off a few HK tailors (planning for a trip later). Across the board prices have gone up consistently (dramatically?), to the point that tailors like PL are charging almost what the WW Chan would be charging a few years ago.

Similarly, the WW Chan/Gordan Yao is now on at least $1200 USD for a entry level (Basic VBC) 2 piece suit.

I suspect this has a lot to do with the recent publicity they have received from these forums.

Given the relative minor pricing difference (on that scale), I probably would just go WW Chan for the slightly better reputation etc.

Or seek out some lesser knowns and have an little try-out (potential disaster)

9. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Active Member

I wonder whether prices are different when it's an emailed quote, versus walk-in?

If so, I would not engage with these firms - I don't like that practice. It's not like I'm buying a car here.

10. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Can't answer about other tailors, but Peter has always been very consistent with his pricing for me. Also, if you have a half-canvassed suit, you'll pay about 1500 HKD less.

We need to get more people in Hong Kong to post about more tailors. Always good to have more competition.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Also, I dug this up from another thread, if anyone can get updated prices, we'll have a better idea of exactly how much the difference is

12. mrclam

mrclam Senior member

I think people have found that sharing and posting information makes their tailors popular, and therefore less available and more expensive.

13. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

Any update on shirt and jacket pricing?

14. Eason

Eason Senior member

Shirts 280.

1 person likes this.
  15. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

im getting quotes for pants starting at 1,200 HKD... basic details, no frills

not sure if i should go for HY pants instead...

16. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

If HY pants fit you well, they're well made of great materials, so sure.

17. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Howard Yount trousers are the bomb diggity. Have two pairs; want a closet full.

18. fox81

fox81 Senior member

Best to ask for CMT prices, just to be sure for the comparison. If there is a massive markup for the fabric, source it yourself and go CMT.

1 person likes this.
  19. shoeguyjhu

shoeguyjhu Member

Shirts are 380 HKD now

20. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

380 for what? CMT or inclusive of fabric?