• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pete Rose Apologizes

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5561237

"I disrespected the game of baseball," Rose told a crowded ballroom. "When you do that, you disrespect your teammates, the game and your family."

Rose broke down as he spoke, according to the Enquirer, sobbing during a comedy roast that featured speeches from former Reds teammates Perez, Geronimo, Ken Griffey Sr., George Foster and Tom Browning.

Rose recalled a 1989 conversation with Bart Giamatti in which the late baseball commissioner suggested he "reconfigure" his life.

"I didn't know what that meant," Rose said. "It took me years and years [to come to grips with it]. ... I'm a hard-headed guy. ... But I'm a lot better guy standing here tonight."

Rose apologized to his former teammates, including those who weren't in attendance -- Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan and Davey Concepcion, the Enquirer reported.

Rose offered an apology directly to Perez, seated at his right, looking straight at him.

"I've known Tony 50 years -- he's like a brother to me," Rose said.

It was, according to the Cincinnati newspaper, the first time Rose had publicly addressed his past transgressions in such a direct, emotional way.

"I guarantee everybody in this room, I will never disrespect you again," Rose said.

"You can talk about hits and runs and championship games. ... [But] I want my legacy to be [that of] somebody who came forward. If anybody has a problem here today, come forward. Don't hide it. ... You can run, but you can't hide. If I can help a young kid to know what I went through, maybe I can prevent them from going through the same thing.

"I got suspended 21 years ago. For 10-12 years, I kept it inside. ... That's changed. I'm a different guy. ... I love the fans, I love the game of baseball, and I love Cincinnati baseball."

"Nice, nice," said Perez afterward. "I was crying. He finally got it off his chest."

"Out of left field," said Browning, shaking his head. "I didn't see it coming."
I've long supported MLB's ban on Rose, especially in light of his stubborn refusal to 'fess up to what he did, or even acknowledge he'd done anything wrong.

But with this, he should be welcomed back in. Put him in the Hall.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Pete have a new book coming out?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He should still be banned from professional baseball. It's a joke he ain't Cooperstown though.

BP348

Reaction score
I don't support what he did but if you look at all the other BS going on with MLB I believe he should be put in to the Hall.

If they are going to let all these steroid abusing players into the hall then Pete definitely deserves a spot. When he played he was a monster!

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
I don't support what he did but if you look at all the other BS going on with MLB I believe he should be put in to the Hall.

If they are going to let all these steroid abusing players into the hall then Pete definitely deserves a spot. When he played he was a monster!

All these guys should be put in a special wing dedicated to roid heads and gamblers. Put Joe Jackson in there as well.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bonds, Clemens, Palmiero, McGwire and Sosa are all not getting into the Hall and neither should Rose. For fu*k's sake, he bet on the team he was managing.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Bonds, Clemens, Palmiero, McGwire and Sosa are all not getting into the Hall and neither should Rose. For fu*k's sake, he bet on the team he was managing.

No way those two get excluded. Might take them a while though.
lol8[1].gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The east coast love for Clemens is crazy. You'd think he was the 2nd coming. He'll get in even though he shouldn't.

Bonds. Bonds won't. McGwire should. Palimiero isn't even a possibility. Sosa won't. Baseball writers, IME love the white guys.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
McGwire?

He was juicing since his bash brothers days. And even though the writers hate Bonds... he'll eventually get in.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
The east coast love for Clemens is crazy. You'd think he was the 2nd coming. He'll get in even though he shouldn't.

Dude, come on. I hate Clemens with a passion, and he definitely was a juicer, but the guy was just unbelievable. SEVEN Cy Youngs. SEVEN. As far as pitching was concerned, he was the second coming. Even if he is also a spectacular asshole.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've met Pete a few times. He's actually a nice guy if you get him when he hasn't been drinking.

He definitely should be in the hall. Its a travesty that he isn't.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed.

Originally Posted by Slopho
All these guys should be put in a special wing dedicated to roid heads and gamblers. Put Joe Jackson in there as well.

Even better idea.

Suave

Reaction score
I don't support what he did but if you look at all the other BS going on with MLB I believe he should be put in to the Hall. If they are going to let all these steroid abusing players into the hall then Pete definitely deserves a spot. When he played he was a monster!
so true

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads