• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pet Peeve Thread

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread related to this topic so I decided to create one.

This is dedicated to style and design nuances that get under your skin. I'll start with mines

1. DB suits with notch lapels
facepalm.gif

- I've seen quite a few of these in stores and several street blogs. And it just ruins **** for me. That's like a Lamborghini with automatic transmission.
2. DB jackets with centered vents.
3. Knotted ties without dimples.
- If you rock your tie without a dimple, chances are I will not be able to have an engaging conversation with you. I will be distracted.
4. Wearing winter boots in warm weather states
- I spent half of my life in Houston. And it always baffled me whenever I saw people wearing warm weather boots (Fur lined and all) in 50 degree weather.
5. Pre-Tied Bow Ties

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is dedicated to style and design nuances that get under your skin. I'll start with mines

1. DB suits with notch lapels :facepalm:
- I've seen quite a few of these in stores and several street blogs. And it just ruins **** for me. That's like a Lamborghini with automatic transmission.
2. DB jackets with centered vents.
3. Knotted ties without dimples.
- If you rock your tie without a dimple, chances are I will not be able to have an engaging conversation with you. I will be distracted.
- I spent half of my life in Houston. And it always baffled me whenever I saw people wearing warm weather boots (Fur lined and all) in 50 degree weather.
5. Pre-Tied Bow Ties

+1

We should have lunch,

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add my own:

1.Ticket pockets
2.Patch pockets
3. Elbow patches
4."Euro-trash" scarves
5. Double monk shoes
6.Skinny suits
7.Black raincoats
8.Antiqued shoes
9. Long-wing shoes
10. Ventless jackets
11. gigantic wrist watches

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I grew up in California. This doesn't faze me anymore . . . Californians will wear sandals with a MTM suit

Made in California

Reaction score
1. People who don't understand California. Just kidding. Californians are terrible at dressing, although I'm curious to see if I can put together a suit and sandal outfit now..

Last edited:

addedfuel

Reaction score
- Pants that are too long
- Square toe rubber sole shoes
- jacket sleeves that are too long
- wearing shirts with French cuffs without a jacket or wearing one merely with jeans
- worn out underwear

Made in California

Reaction score

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't dislike double monks, but I won't be sad to see the fad pass. Seems like there's not a "what shoe" question posted on SF these days that isn't answered with "double monks."

Beyond that, I'm no fan of the wide spread collars the forum has taken to recently. Very conspicuous.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't dislike double monks, but I won't be sad to see the fad pass. Seems like there's not a "what shoe" question posted on SF these days that isn't answered with "double monks."
Beyond that, I'm no fan of the wide spread collars the forum has taken to recently. Very conspicuous.

Agree entirely on the specifics and on the tone of your response. I don't get irritated by other people's style choices, but there are a few things I just wouldn't wear or do.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- Pants that are too long
- jacket sleeves that are too long

Pants that are too short.
Jacket sleeves that are too short.

That's what I hate, happens all the time when shopping for clothes. See something I like, but it's nearly always too small.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jacket sleeves that are too short.
That's what I hate, happens all the time when shopping for clothes. See something I like, but it's nearly always too small.

I feel you on this issue. I wear a 36 jacket and 14.5 shirt , but my arms are bit long (around a 33.5-34), so the sleeves most otr shirts and jackets are too short for me lengthwise.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ties with more than two colors on them

LeviMay

Reaction score
The high-school-prom look: Black suit, black shirt, bright (often pink or white) tie. Ugh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads