Pet hates

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rmanoj, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

Rolex watches and the like : can't stand a watch that has a case without a simple basic geometric shape. Scallop - what the hell kind of shape is that? Couldn't think off hand of a more expensive watch that is just plain ugly/inelegant. Actually there is one posted here often that is very ugly and likely very expensive but I can't remember the name. It has this case that can't decide if its a circle or a drunken square.

Round toe lasted shoes - so called classical (Its tough to say if the classic denomination is really justified!). The funny thing is that I have never seen feet that have that round domed shaped toe extremity, so I can't think of a less appropriate shape-one that doesn't even remotely approximate the shape of toes

Gunboats: if you're wearing gunboats you should be on a gunboat (any modern war vessel is acceptable) or at least sporting some modern battlefield weaponry. (please spare me the true purpose of gunboats). There is an exception for really good looking chicks (preferrably models) that may wear them if they want[​IMG] In this case it doesn't matter because noone is looking at the ugly shoes.

I could summarize all the above by saying I hate things that don't pay attention to basic elegant shape and go overboard on useless details.

2. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

I hate how my 75-pound pit bull seems to have an affinity for putting his damn claws on my shoes when I'm getting ready in the morning and when I come home from work. Nothing effs up a good polish job like four nail marks across the medallion of my Tramezzas!

He's an otherwise very well-behaved beast, but boy does he love stepping on my feet at times. His obedience training will resume as soon as mine is completed this fall.

Edit: I know this wasn't the original intent of the post, but it's what I thought of when I read the title.

3. rmanoj

rmanoj Active Member

You must be poor; so sorry for you. You must be poor; so so sorry for you. Must be real tough being poor Poor and a bore! Oy! [​IMG]
    Right, so not liking certain things means I can't afford them. They can't be, you know, based on what I think looks good, right? The watch thing was an objection to in-your-face nouveau riche behaviour if anything I don't think un-brogued black derbies with more than two (or three I suppose) eyelets really have a "niche". Oxfords are a far more elegant choice for a conservative city shoe, whereas if you want to do the "rus in urbe" thing, at least do it properly and wear black brogues or something. I don't see what a 3-roll-2 does that a 3-roll-2.5 doesn't do better. The whole point is to have a nice lapel roll, isn't it? What makes my comment about the trousers facepalm-worthy? And you're an ass for attempting to use "poor" as an insult.

4. Yorsch

Yorsch Well-Known Member

Here goes my list. I am sure there is more, but that's of top of my head.

-Argyle anything. Its been overplayed.

-Boring watches that have no character, regardless cheap or expensive.

-Light-Brown shoes with Black suit . (actually any brown shoes. I just've seen only several people being able to pull it off)

-Buttoning up top button on dress shirt without a tie (Asian men like to do that, and now I see more people do that. is that a trend or something?

-Tags left on suit or coat sleeves \t[​IMG]

-Backpacks with suits and coats

-Huge outdated trench coats

-Frayed shirt collars (There is such thing as collar stays!)

-Ugly-Casual shoes with suit!!!

-Ties knotted the wrong way. Its not that hard!

-Pants too long

5. celery

celery Senior member

Not this thread again. [​IMG]

6. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Senior member

Cats.

I'm sorry you don't like cats. I love cats. They are probably one of my favorite animals.

Maybe if you had some of my recipes, you would like cat. They are really quite tasty. [​IMG]

7. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

I am going to go low-end here, confident that no responsible SF'r would indulge in any of these "Top Ten" and that all will agree with each and every one of these:

1. Baseball caps worn by other than baseball players.
    2. Wind pants (and wind shirts), the latter worn when not playing golf and even then...
    3. Low-profile cotton baseball style caps with a printed summery destination worn other than in the summer to protect one's face from the sun.
    4. Athletic jerseys with a professional's name on them (should have been #1.)
    5. Woven leather belts.
    6. Any sports apparel worn when not playing the sport, including warm ups of any kind.
    7. Any hat worn inside a restaurant.
    8. Zip front jackets with the name of one's company on them worn on other than company business.
    9. The sneakers you use to mow the lawn worn when not (exception: emergency trip for gas or trimmer string while mowing lawn.)
    10. Any big, thick New Balance sneaker worn in place of shoes.
    11. (Yes, as in "Spinal Tap" I go to 11): all black, wide bottomed, unfitted, cheaply made-in-China leather jackets.

8. Yorsch

Yorsch Well-Known Member

I forgot to add.

-Khakis

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I am going to go low-end here, confident that no responsible SF'r would indulge in any of these "Top Ten" and that all will agree with each and every one of these: 1. Baseball caps worn by other than baseball players. 2. Wind pants (and wind shirts), the latter worn when not playing golf and even then... 3. Low-profile cotton baseball style caps with a printed summery destination worn other than in the summer to protect one's face from the sun. 4. Athletic jerseys with a professional's name on them (should have been #1.) 5. Woven leather belts. 6. Any sports apparel worn when not playing the sport, including warm ups of any kind. 7. Any hat worn inside a restaurant. 8. Zip front jackets with the name of one's company on them worn on other than company business. 9. The sneakers you use to mow the lawn worn when not (exception: emergency trip for gas or trimmer string while mowing lawn.) 10. Any big, thick New Balance sneaker worn in place of shoes. 11. (Yes, as in "Spinal Tap" I go to 11): all black, wide bottomed, unfitted, cheaply made-in-China leather jackets.
    I disagree with several of these. There is a place for casual wear, including baseball caps. Polo, nice chino shorts, ballcap with favorite hockey team's logo. Perfect look for a backyard barbecue. Also, what the hell do you have against woven leather belts?

10. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

I disagree with several of these. There is a place for casual wear, including baseball caps. Polo, nice chino shorts, ballcap with favorite hockey team's logo. Perfect look for a backyard barbecue.

Also, what the hell do you have against woven leather belts?

Sorry, but you're about to get kicked in in the ass.

Okay, I'll give you a partial on the "ball cap at a BBQ" just to be nice, especially if you're a kid or a square. But that one has been on the Esquire and GQ and my shit list for years. Seems like guys think they must wear one on Saturday (particularly on trips to Home Depot.) I hate them. Is "Titleist" paying you to wear that hat? No, so take it the fuck off. "Polo and nice chino shorts?" Very chic. Ever heard of linen? And by "woven belts" I meant cheap-shit ones worn with Mom jeans, and a shit leather jacket (not my RRL distressed O-ring worn with...never, mind, I think I will lose you here.... [​IMG]

11. Yorsch

Yorsch Well-Known Member

11. (Yes, as in "Spinal Tap" I go to 11): all black, wide bottomed, unfitted, cheaply made-in-China leather jackets.

I will see your leather jacket, and raise it to unfitted huge Leather Blazer from 90s!!!![​IMG]

12. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Wingtips. And cyclists.

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Sorry, but you're about to get kicked in in the ass.
    [​IMG]
    So you don't actually object to the items you listed, you object to how common slobs wear said items. How on earth is that a problem with the items and not with the slobs? Corporate branding is an issue I agree with you on. But you conflate the branding with the garment. A ballcap does not need to have a titlist logo or whatever. It can be fitted, plain blue, and have a Yankees logo. Or a mets one. Or whatever. A lot of people hate suits and ties becuase dopes with no style wear them, and wind up looking stupid in ill made and badly fitted ones. Does that mean traditional tailoring is bad? No, it means stupid slobs wear it badly. Oh, and yes, I have heard of linen. So what? Shorts are not inherently evil. Just becuase your legs are ugly does not mean everybody's are. Basically, from what I can tell, you don't like to see cheap and crappy shit, and you don't like corporate douchebaggery. You're not going to hear any objection from me on those points. But when you conflate those issues with perfectly useful classes of clothing, then you're going to have issues.

14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I hate how my 75-pound pit bull seems to have an affinity for putting his damn claws on my shoes when I'm getting ready in the morning and when I come home from work. Nothing effs up a good polish job like four nail marks across the medallion of my Tramezzas!

He's an otherwise very well-behaved beast, but boy does he love stepping on my feet at times. His obedience training will resume as soon as mine is completed this fall.

Edit: I know this wasn't the original intent of the post, but it's what I thought of when I read the title.

The dog has to go....

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The dog has to go....

Why? I'm sure it just accelerates the patina. Sounds like the perfect setup.