• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Perspectives wanted: Am I a useless floater? Or is time on my side?

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I need a broader range of perspectives on this longstanding dilemma. The girlfriend, mother and father simply aren't enough of a reference point.

I swear I tried to be brief:

I'm 28 years old. Called to the bar last year.

Well provided for by my family. I own a big condo and pay the mortgage. I drive a nice car gifted by my father. I am 85% independent.

I am relatively spoiled but extremely grateful. I haven't had to try very hard (intellectually, etc.) to get to where I am at and have no debt.

For the last year and a half (articles + work), I have worked full time in my chosen field in the law. I earn a decent salary and have garnered a sound reputation. Though, admittedly, I do not sweat for my work.

Recently I also cut back my full-time hours in order to teach at a community college part-time. The opportunity came up and I wanted to get my foot in that door.

Everybody knows I have lots of time on my hands - free evenings, free weekends, etc. I also accept that I could be doing far, far more with my degree and career. I could be writing for journals, starting my own practise, making inroads, etc. but I haven't. Other people don't do these things and get by just fine, but somehow I expect them of myself.

My problem is that I still consider myself an artist at heart. I have loved music more than anything throughout my life and it shows in my possessions, attitudes and hobbies. I own more instruments and records and recording equipment than any other possession, and consider that I have enough material under my belt to call myself a decent songwriter and producer. In the briefest of terms, my dream job is to become a conductor or professional musician/composer - but to date I have not had the courage to derail my career in order to do so.

Meanwhile, I "float". And my parents, and girlfriend and everybody who knows me notices.

I've told everyone I want to save my money and take this summer "off" completely. Ride my ******* bike; write some ******* poetry at a coffee shop; and sit down with my ******* guitar and a microphone.

Is that so wrong? Or is everybody else so right?

Am I a useless floater who should be making more out of his degree (because that's what good people in my shoes do)? Or should people stop breathing down my neck and let me explore my love for other things - at least for a time goddammit?!

What is the damned rush anyway?

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everybody knows I have lots of time on my hands - free evenings, free weekends, etc. I also accept that I could be doing far, far more with my degree and career. I could be writing for journals, starting my own practise, making inroads, etc. but I haven't. Other people don't do these things and get by just fine, but somehow I expect them of myself.

I've told everyone I want to save my money and take this summer "off" completely. Ride my ******* bike; write some ******* poetry at a coffee shop; and sit down with my ******* guitar and a microphone.

So ********** it.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you ride your bike or write your songs in your free weekends and evenings?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Take dead aim on the rich boys. If there's one thing they can't buy, it's backbone."

OP, were I in your position no doubt I would do what you desire. But I have no parents or support system and I couldn't possibly afford to take a summer off. So do it in good conscience, but please to post a journal of your exploits so I can live vicariously through you adventures. Cheers.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound like an insufferable douchebag.

But to answer your (circuitously asked) question, I think that most people need to feel like there is some type of thrust in their life, some ambition being realized or a challenge waiting for them. Simply "floating" through life probably doesn't cut it for some people, especially the type on SF.

valium

Reaction score
man,if you feel like this now just wait ten years from now if you havent done what you really want to.
live your life **** what everybody else thinks
(unless daddy takes the condo and car away if you do,then i retract the last statement and suffer in silence and do as you are told)

PS.i had a a great job with a company for about 13 years,unionized, i could have worked there till retirement.
unhappy as ****.
i got myself fired (there was a method to it,took about a year and i took advantage of all the benefits in the mean time like vacation time,sick days etc) but i knew what i was doing,i was sabotaging my career because i knew i was better then what i was doing.
established my own business and am happier then ever,and mind you i did not have a well off family to fall back on.so take a chance man.

Last edited:

enjoiii

Reaction score
I agree with Lord Barrington, you really do sound like an insufferable douchebag.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
you lead the life you want, then whine to others about, seeking validation...sounds like insecurity and guilt...you know you are taking the easy way out...own it

how miserable would you be if you had real problems: no job or family money, sick kids, failing health...sounds like you'ld fold like a house of cards...

nothing worse than the fortunate indulging in self pity over non-problems

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another vote for insufferable douchebag. Not because of your floating, though.

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you lead the life you want, then whine to others about, seeking validation...sounds like insecurity and guilt...you know you are taking the easy way out...own it

how miserable would you be if you had real problems: no job or family money, sick kids, failing health...sounds like you'ld fold like a house of cards...

nothing worse than the fortunate indulging in self pity over non-problems

+1... Be grateful for what you have, and the opportunities that you can get into. Because there's a handful of individuals out there who can't because of the cards they were dealt.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Rich kid problems.

You are at a fork in your life. Is there anything wrong with an unmarried 28 year old taking a summer off? IMO, no, there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself. But what's the total picture and where is this realistically leading? I've come to know many people that were rich kids. They seem to either eventually buckle down and define themselves and their careers or turn 50 and wonder why people say, "Nice guy but he's like a child."

valium

Reaction score
hes even floating in his own thread, hasnt piped in yet lol.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New lawyer w/ free time?! Employer allowing you to take off to pursue other endeavors. There's a back story here that needs to be told, me thinks. You from a very well-connected family? Connections are invaluable; they keep the lazy and the dim safe. If not, sounds like you're not on the onwards and upwards track at the firm. You just may want to walk out before you're pushed out.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sympathetic to the "artist at heart" thing, but I can't muster what it would take to feel sorry for you.

However, one piece of advice I will give is to not take off time to create music. As someone who has, apparently, been given every advantage in life, any music you produce will almost certainly be utter ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics