• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Uniform

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I presume some of you read The Silentist? (http://thesilentist.tumblr.com/) What do you think about his most recent post? I'm more or less behind the idea of a personal uniform, but I don't know that I would choose the particular uniform that he has--just don't like the combination of a tie with jeans I guess.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boring.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My stuff of late isn't a uniform, but it's much simpler than it used to be. I have a few favorites that get worn again and again. So I get where he's coming from.

That said, I suspect the many words he's devoted to his Foo-ish desire for a uniform reflect the overthinking he's trying to avoid. Better just to ease into it.

Last edited:

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that many people who cover fashion (like Bill Cunningham, French blue workman's jacket, as mentioned) and those who influence it, like Jim Moore at GQ (dark suit, dark tie), have very basic uniforms even though they are clearly enamored by fashions of the times.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find it interesting that many people who cover fashion (like Bill Cunningham, French blue workman's jacket, as mentioned) and those who influence it, like Jim Moore at GQ (dark suit, dark tie), have very basic uniforms even though they are clearly enamored by fashions of the times.

Nurses always have the sickest kids... :/

Poindexter

Reaction score
I find it fascinating that a guy who's style blogging is promoting the choosing of a piece or two to wear all the time, thus eschewing style.

I think he's being disingenuous, as observe Jobs; who, though a genius, was not a stylish guy.

swiego

Reaction score

I find it fascinating that a guy who's style blogging is promoting the choosing of a piece or two to wear all the time, thus eschewing style.
I think he's being disingenuous, as observe Jobs; who, though a genius, was not a stylish guy.

Steve Jobs had a style. However he was not what many would call stylish.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have fairly regular rotation that I outlined in this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/278789/what-are-your-10-menswear-essentials/0_30

The brands change but each item is similar to what I have worn for several decades (except for that brief Prada period in the late 90's). It is a combination of classic American denim, Preppy and Italian elements or "Prepino" as I was labeled in the 80's.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a uniform, and I don't want one. I like variety, and I like options. When packing for something, I always pack more than I need. Not because of a fear of ruining something, or something getting soaked or splashed with mud or whatever else, but because I like to decide the day of something. If I'm wearing a suit for some event, I bring the one suit I'll need, but I'll bring two shirts and three ties. What Prince William did on his recent US swing, wearing one suit with identical shirts and what, two ties? for weeks on end would simply drive me mad. If a trip is over 3 or 4 days long, I can't even limit myself to one color scheme (I try to go with earthtones and blues or black and grays to only pack one color of shoes).

Uniforms are fine if you don't want to think about what to wear. You pick something out, buy duplicates, and never think of it again. But if you're on a message board where style is discussed and think of dressing well as an art, I simply cannot grasp how you could ever find a uniform interesting.

This is not to say that what I wear isn't coherent. It is- it all adheres to my tastes, which definitely trend in certain ways. But I could never be happy wearing the same clothes day in and day out.

Last edited:

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Uniforms are really just convenient for people with very busy lifestyles, to each his own perhaps.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A communist has his uniform selected for him. A Fascist is allowed to choose his own. Have I left anyone out? :nest: :hide:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads